Thailand’s junta is ramping up pressure on Internet giants Google and Facebook — and the popular messaging app Line — to scrub the country’s Web of any content it dislikes, officials confirmed yesterday.
The military seized power in a 2014 coup and has launched the harshest rights crackdowns in decades, arresting critics, muzzling the media and banning political gatherings or protests.
The Web, in particular social media, has remained one of the few avenues open to Thais to speak out — though not without risks. Prosecutions for lese majeste, so-called computer crimes and sedition have soared, with many arrested for online posts.
Junta officials are now seeking face-to-face meetings with major Web companies to try and speed up how quickly they take down objectionable content.
MEETINGS
Police Major General Pisit Paoin, from the junta’s committee on mass media reform, said officials would meet with Google, Facebook and Line over the next three months “to ask for their cooperation in dealing with illegal images or clips that affect security and the nation’s core institution,” a euphemism for the monarchy.
“There have been tens of thousands of the illegal posts over the past five years,” he said.
Officials held the first of their meetings with Google recently.
Minutes of that meeting were leaked last week by hackers and later published widely by local media showing Thai officials are pushing for big Web firms to agree to takedowns without a court order.
Pisit said large Web companies have reacted with reluctance over the past five years to previous requests to censor content.
“We have received better response from Google in the US [since the meeting],” he said. “Now we plan on talking with Line and Facebook.”
Globally, Web firms must comply with local laws and routinely block content within that country if presented with a court order.
However, the leaked minutes suggest the Thai junta want a far more lenient standard adopted.
REACTION
In a statement, Line said that it “has yet to be contacted by an official entity requesting such censorship” but added that “the privacy of Line users is our top priority.”
“Once we have been officially contacted, we will perform our due diligence towards the related parties and consider an appropriate solution that does not conflict with our company’s global standards, nor the laws of Thailand,” the statement added.
The Japanese company is by far the most popular social messaging app in Thailand and is even used by many government ministries and police stations to officially brief media.
Last week, a man was arrested for sharing a video allegedly mocking Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the coup leader, with his friends on Line, suggesting Thai authorities are already monitoring the service for content it disapproves of.
Facebook and Google have yet to respond to requests for comment.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The