US Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton raised US$55 million in the final quarter of last year, her campaign said on Friday.
The latest haul for Clinton, 68, brings her fundraising total for last year to US$112 million and gives her one of the best-funded campaign treasuries in the race for next year’s November presidential election.
“At the beginning of this campaign, Hillary Clinton set a goal of US$100 million in primary contributions for 2015 and blew past that goal, raising more than US$112 million in primary money for the year,” her campaign said in a statement.
It said she had raised US$37 million for the primary campaign, the most for any non-incumbent in a non-election year, and US$18 million for the Democratic Party in the fourth quarter.
Clinton has prided herself on raising funds from women and donors of small amounts. In the most recent quarter, 94 percent of donations received were US$100 or less, her campaign said.
The most recent filing comes just weeks before the first-in-the-nation ballots are to be cast in the Democratic nominating contest and Clinton’s latest grab provides a much-needed cushion of support as she battles for support in key early voter states.
Clinton, who has led the Democratic pack with little interruption since her announcement of candidacy in April, spent the summer months battling accusations of inappropriate use of a personal e-mail server while serving as US secretary of state, throwing an unexpected wrench in what was initially seen as a clear path to the nomination.
However following a marathon, 11-hour hearing on the national security ramifications of her personal server use, Clinton emerged from the scandal relatively unscathed, and her campaign reported their most lucrative fundraising hour in the hour following the hearing.
According to a Reuters/Ipsos survey that ended on Thursday last week, Clinton leads the Democratic pack with 60 percent of possible support in the nominating contest. Democratic presidential hopefuls Senator Bernie Sanders received 28 percent support while former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley finished third with less than 4 percent possible support.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses