As soon as the guided-missile destroyer USS Lassen breached the 12 nautical mile (22.2km) territorial limits around one of China’s artificial islands in the disputed South China Sea last week, a Chinese warship shadowing its movements began demanding answers.
“Hey, you are in Chinese waters. What is your intention?” it asked, as recounted to reporters on Thursday by Commander Robert Francis, commanding officer of the Lassen.
His crew replied that they were operating in accordance with international law and intended to transit past the island, carrying out what US officials have called a freedom-of-navigation exercise designed to challenge China’s claims to the strategic waterway.
The response from the Chinese destroyer?
“The same query, over and over,” said Francis, speaking onboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt as it sailed 150 to 200 nautical miles from the southern tip of the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), a chain of contested islands where China’s seven artificial outposts have taken shape in barely two years.
The Lassen had joined the carrier strike group the night before, ahead of a visit to the Theodore Roosevelt by US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, who while on board blamed China for rising tension in the region.
Beijing has rebuked Washington over the Lassen’s patrol, the most significant US challenge yet to territorial limits China claims around its new islands.
China claims most of the South China Sea, through which more than US$5 trillion of global trade passes every year. Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines have rival claims.
In comments that underscore the frequency with which US warships now come across Chinese vessels in Asian waters, Francis said the Lassen had had about 50 “interactions” with Chinese military ships and aircraft since May while on patrol in the South and East China seas, something he described as routine.
“Every day a US ship is down here, we interact with the Chinese,” Francis said.
Experts say China has dozens of naval and coastguard vessels deployed in the South China Sea at any given time, adding that encounters with US warships are likely to increase after US officials said the navy planned to conduct patrols within 12 nautical miles of China’s artificial islands about twice a quarter.
The Chinese destroyer shadowed the Lassen for 10 days before and after its Oct. 27 patrol near the artificial islands, Francis said.
The Lassen got to within six to seven nautical miles from the nearest Chinese land formation, he added.
However, not all US-Chinese naval interactions are tense, especially when things are slow on the high seas.
“A few weeks ago, we were talking to one of the ships that was accompanying us, a Chinese vessel... [We] picked up the phone and just talked to him, like: ‘Hey, what are you guys doing this Saturday? Oh, we got pizza and wings. What are you guys eating? Oh, we’re doing this. Hey, we’re planning for Halloween as well.’”
The intent, Francis said, is “to show them... that we’re normal sailors, just like them, have families, just like them.”
The Chinese sailors, speaking in English, responded by talking about where they were from, their families and places they have visited, Francis said.
Eventually, the Chinese destroyer that had followed the Lassen on its mission past the artificial islands peeled away.
“They were very cordial the entire time... even before and after the Spratly Islands transit,” Francis said. “When they left us they said: ‘Hey, we’re not going to be with you anymore. Wish you a pleasant voyage. Hope to see you again.’”
As for Francis and his crew of 300 sailors, they were unfazed by the intense media coverage of one of the most highly anticipated US naval patrols in years, although Francis said his mother, having seen the news, did call to ask whether he was actually in China.
“It’s another day in the South China Sea. All of it is professional,” he said.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable