The Chinese Communist Party has sent its corruption inspectors deep into the heart of the violence-prone far western region of Xinjiang, the party said yesterday, a part of the nation which had been largely left out of the graft fight.
The party’s corruption-busting Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said that the teams had “recently” taken up their positions in 10 cities or counties, including Hotan, in southern Xinjiang’s Uighur heartland.
ETHNIC VIOLENCE
Hundreds of people have been killed in the region in the past few years, most in violence between the Muslim Uighur people who call Xinjiang home and ethnic majority Han Chinese.
Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) has vowed to combat deep-seated corruption since assuming power in late 2012, though parts of China with big minority populations such as Xinjiang and Tibet have largely escaped the campaign so far.
However, the ethnic Uighur mayor of Hotan was put under investigation for graft last year, a fate that befell another senior Uighur, a secretary general of the regional government.
The inspection teams are looking for corrupt practices such as bribery and extravagance, as well as those who are “seriously disunited,” likely a reference to people who display a lack of enthusiasm about unity between Xinjiang’s difference races.
WHISTLE-BLOWERS
The graft watchdog also provided a list of telephone numbers and postal address for people to get in touch and report corrupt practices.
Other areas targeted for inspection include counties along the remote border with Kazakhstan.
The Chinese Communist Party has striven to appoint and promote more minority officials, but, in Xinjiang especially, the Han Chinese-dominated party faces deep suspicion.
UIGHURS TARGETED
Some attacks have targeted Uighurs aligned with the government, including the killing of a state-backed Uighur imam last year.
A deputy head of the graft watchdog visited Interpol as part of a trip to France to push for greater international cooperation in the fight against corruption, state media said yesterday.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The