A group of prominent writers, artists and intellectuals have called on the Mexican president to address the country’s terrible record on protecting journalists who report on drug violence and other criminal activity.
Across Mexico, 88 journalists have been murdered since 2000, according to Reporters Without Borders, and another 20 or so have disappeared.
Nearly 500 prominent voices, including Britain’s Salman Rushdie, US writer Paul Auster and Canada’s Margaret Atwood, on Sunday signed an open letter to Mexican President Pena Nieto decrying violence against journalists.
We “would like to express our indignation regarding the deadly attacks against reporters in your country,” the letter states.
“An attempt on the life of a journalist is an attack on society’s very right to be informed,” the letter states.
The most recent case to attract widespread revulsion is that of photojournalist Ruben Espinosa, who had fled the violence-plagued state of Veracruz and gone to Mexico City after receiving threats.
Espinosa was one of five victims found dead this month at an apartment in the capital, their hands bound and their bodies bearing signs of torture.
“This is only the latest in a long series of outrages against the press, and it took place in a city that was considered one of the last safe places in the country for reporters to work. There would now seem to be no safe haven for the profession,” the letter states.
At least 11 Veracruz journalists have been killed in the past five years in the eastern state, leading Reporters Without Borders to rank it the third most dangerous place in the world to practice the profession, after Iraq and Syria.
“Mr President, there must be no more murders,” states the letter, which goes on to call for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.
“In your country, the statistics are disastrous regarding impunity in crimes against the press,” the letter states.
A German baker has drummed up some much-needed demand during the COVID-19 pandemic by making cakes in the shape of toilet rolls. Faced with a slump in sales as customers stayed away, baker Tim Kortuem got the idea when people complained about a shortage of goods in supermarkets after people started stockpiling. Sales of toilet rolls rose 700 percent this month and last month, grocers say. “We thought: We should just create toilet rolls for eating. And that’s how the idea emerged,” Kortuem told reporters. The marble cake with white fondant icing has been a big hit. Kortuem’s shop, Das Schuerener Backparadies, in the
MORE RESOURCES: The prime minister announced an extra A$1.1bn in health-related spending, of which A$150m would be spent on domestic violence support services Australia yesterday announced a nearly US$100 million boost in funding to tackle domestic violence after support services reported a spike in coronavirus-related family abuse. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there had been a 75 percent surge in Google searches for help during the ongoing nationwide shutdown of non-essential services to curb the spread of COVID-19. Women’s Safety, a domestic violence charity in Australia’s most populous New South Wales state, has reported that more than 40 percent of workers had seen an increase in client numbers, with more than one-third of cases directly linked to the virus outbreak. In neighboring Victoria, women’s support
RICKSHAW EPIC: Two men on a cycle rickshaw said that they were taking over pedaling when the other became exhausted on their journey, which they said was one-way With India locked down over COVID-19 and no way to earn money, Dilipji Thakor faces a grim choice: either walk home or die hungry. Thakor is among millions of migrant workers left jobless and penniless by the full shutdown of the country on Wednesday that has sparked an exodus from major cities. Thousands are walking long distances back to their home villages after all transport was stopped except for essential services as authorities struggle to contain the outbreak, which has infected more than 700 people in India. Huge numbers had crammed onto trains and buses before the country of 1.3 billion people
A former child bride who spent 19 years in prison for a murder she did not commit is to sue the Pakistani authorities in an effort to persuade the country to help other victims of miscarriages of justice. Rani Bibi was just 14 when she was convicted, alongside her father, brother and cousin, of the murder of her husband and spent the next two decades sweeping the floors of an overcrowded Pakistan prison. Last year a Lahore High Court judge acquitted her of all charges, saying that she “was left to languish in the jail solely due to [the] lackluster attitude of