Wed, Jun 24, 2015 - Page 6 News List

Japanese PM heckled at Battle of Okinawa event

AFP, ITOMAN, Japan

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, left, offers a chrysanthemum on an altar during a memorial service for those who died in the battle of Okinawa during World War II in Itoman, Japan, yesterday.

Photo: AFP

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was heckled yesterday at a ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the Battle of Okinawa, the bloodiest episode before the end of the Pacific War, as anger flared over the US military’s continuing presence.

In a highly charged ceremony on Okinawa, Abe was shouted at by locals angry at the size of the US presence on the subtropical islands.

Cries of “Go home” could be heard as he took the podium. It is relatively unusual for a Japanese prime minister to be jeered by the public.

Abe, who appeared rattled, told the audience Japan had for decades enjoyed the dividend of peace after the horrors of World War II.

“People in Okinawa have long been asked to carry a big burden for our security,” Abe said. “We will continue to do our best to reduce [it].”

Okinawan Governor Takeshi Onaga was warmly applauded by the 5,000-strong crowd after using his speech to denounce “the heavy burden” of US bases in Okinawa, host to more than half of the 47,000 US service personnel in Japan.

“Seventy-three-point-eight percent of US military facilities [in Japan] are still concentrated in our prefecture, which makes up only 0.6 percent of the country’s land area,” he said.

The ceremony took place in Itoman, at the southern tip of Okinawa, near the spot where terrified islanders jumped from cliffs or were pushed to their deaths in June 1945 on the orders of Imperial Army soldiers taught never to surrender.

Thousands of visitors, many of them survivors of the war, filed past black marble monuments inscribed with the names of the fallen, to pray and leave flowers.

More than 100,000 Okinawans and 80,000 Japanese troops died in the 82-day battle for the strategically placed Ryuku Islands chain.

“It was innocent civilians who suffered,” survivor Takeko Kakazu, 97, said. “Seventy years have passed, but the cruelty of the war stays with me.”

“We fled south from Naha [the capital of Okinawa], but there were no caves left to hide in,” added Kakazu, who was pregnant at the time and gave birth on a US warship after being caught. “The bombs kept dropping and we had to hide under trees. It was dreadful.”

More than 12,000 US soldiers also perished in what many had feared was a foretaste of the fight they would have to wage for the Japanese mainland.

That invasion never came, partly because of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with a cowed Japan surrendering in August 1945. Entire families were wiped out and almost everyone on the island lost at least one relative.

As well as those who committed suicide by plunging off the cliffs rather than surrender, US troops found thousands more locals dead in caves, where they had been hiding to escape the furious bombardment.

The war anniversary comes with feelings running high on Okinawa — a one-time independent kingdom annexed by Japan in the 19th century.

A controversial plan to move a US air base from a crowded urban area to the rural spot of Henoko on the coast is proving deeply unpopular, with many wanting it to be put somewhere else altogether.

“We strongly demand that the government cancel construction [at] Henoko and review its policies of reducing Okinawa’s base burden once again,” Onaga said yesterday.

However, Tokyo and Washington have both insisted that the plan to move it — conceived two decades ago — is the only viable option for shutting down Futenma Air Station.

This story has been viewed 2195 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top