The US and European powers pressed Libya’s rival factions to set an “unconditional” ceasefire at talks restarting yesterday, as two attacks on foreign embassies were linked to Islamic State militants.
A bomb exploded outside the Moroccan embassy in Tripoli, causing no casualties, but damaging nearby cars, a security official said.
Like many others in the Libyan capital, the embassy is currently inactive.
Morocco is hosting a UN-backed dialogue between representatives of the two rival governments controlling the country, separate to talks that were due to resume yesterday in Algeria.
The bombing came hours after attackers opened fire on South Korea’s embassy compound from a passing car on Sunday, killing two Libyan guards and wounding a third person.
A photographer said a vehicle used by the security guards was riddled with bullet holes, while it appeared that the main embassy building had not been hit.
The South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Seoul confirmed the attack, saying three South Koreans working at the embassy — including two diplomats — were unhurt.
That attack was claimed by the Islamic State, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, and tweets from Islamic State supporters used similar wording to claim responsibility for the Moroccan embassy bombing.
“A bomb inside a bag went off near the gate of the Moroccan embassy in Bin Ashour area” in central Tripoli, the security official said, adding “there were no casualties.”
“The sound of the explosion was very strong and the [embassy] house was shaking for a few seconds,” one witness said.
Libya has been plagued by chaos since the end of the 2011 revolt that toppled former Libyan leager Muammar Qaddafi, with heavily armed militias battling for control of its cities and oil wealth, and rival governments and parliaments vying for power.
The country has had two governments and parliaments since Tripoli was seized in August last year by the Fajr Libya militia and the internationally recognized government fled to the country’s far east.
Europe’s leading powers and the US pressed the rival factions to set an “unconditional” ceasefire at yesterday’s talks in Algiers on forming a unity government.
“We strongly urge all participants to the dialogue to negotiate in good faith and use this opportunity to finalize agreements on the formation of a national unity government,” a statement issued by the foreign ministers of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Britain and the US said.
“Only through compromise can Libya move toward a more secure, stable and prosperous future,” it said.
The 28-nation EU fears Libya could become a direct security threat, while more and more refugees seeking safety in Europe present a major humanitarian problem.
The Algiers dialogue was taking place against the specter of the Islamic State’s ever more violent incursions onto Libyan soil.
It has claimed responsibility for several high-profile attacks on foreign targets in Libya, including an assault in January on the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli and the beheading of Egyptian Coptic Christians. It has also targeted embassies in Tripoli and oil fields to kidnap foreign workers.
Last month, four Filipinos, an Austrian and four other foreigners were abducted in an attack on the al-Ghani oil field by Islamic State militants, killing eight guards.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big