Epoxy used to glue a blue and gold braided beard back on to the burial mask of Egypt’s famed King Tutankhamun can be removed and the mask properly restored, a German expert summoned to Cairo to examine it said on Saturday.
Speaking at a packed news conference at Cairo Museum, restoration specialist Christian Eckmann said the beard, which has been detached before from the mask and had likely loosened over the years, was accidentally knocked off in August last year during work on the relic’s lighting. The cause of a scratch discovered on the mask had yet to be determined.
“There will be a committee of experts consisting of conservators, archeologists and natural scientists in order to develop a plan for reconservation,” he said. “Up till now we found one scratch which is visible, but it cannot be said now whether this scratch is an ancient one, a recent one, or a modern one which just happened right now,” he added.
On Wednesday, museum conservators speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of professional reprisals said that the beard had been hastily glued back on with epoxy, a powerful adhesive extremely difficult to remove. The 3,300-year-old mask remains on display, with epoxy filling a small gap between the chin and what is known as a “model beard” commonly worn by kings and gods.
Museum administrators at the news conference declined to comment on which specific type of epoxy was used. Experts said adhesives used in such repairs are chosen for their reversibility, for which epoxy is not renown, although the difficulty of its removal varies according to the type of resin used.
Minister of Antiquities and Heritage Mamdouh Eldamaty, present at the conference, said he was only alerted to the incident two days ago.
The burial mask, discovered by British archeologists in 1922, sparked worldwide interest in archaeology and ancient Egypt when it was unearthed along with Tutankhamun’s nearly intact tomb.
It is arguably the best-known piece in the museum, one of the city’s main tourist sites, which was built in 1902 and has seen little change since.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against