South Korea’s nuclear power operator yesterday said that cyberattacks on non-critical operations at the company’s headquarters are continuing but the nations’s nuclear power plants are operating safely and are secure from attack.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co (KHNP) has been intensifying its cybersecurity, president and chief executive officer Cho Seok said. He gave no details of the continued cyberattacks or the company’s response, citing security reasons.
“We cannot let cyberattacks stop nuclear power operation,” Cho told a news briefing. He added that a closed network used for reactor operations was inaccessible from external communication lines and impervious to cyberattacks.
“We will continue operating nuclear plants safely against any attempted foul play, including cyberattacks,” Cho said. “Cyberattacks on KHNP’s [headquarters] operations and administration are still continuing now,” he added.
KHNP, part of state-run utility Korea Electric Power Corp, on Monday last week said that its computer systems had been hacked, but only non-critical data had been stolen and reactor operations were not at risk.
Cho apologized for concerns that had been raised by the cyberattack and data leaks, but said the nuclear plants themselves had not been affected. South Korea has 23 nuclear reactors, which supply one-third of its electricity. Three are currently offline for routine maintenance or awaiting a license extension.
The operator and the government since Wednesday last week have been running emergency teams on standby until Wednesday this week as a precaution in case of any attempted cyberattacks on nuclear plants, after a hacker demanded the shutdown of three reactors by Thursday last week, and in Twitter messages threatened “destruction” if the demand was not met.
South Korean prosecutors are also seeking the cooperation of Chinese authorities in an investigation into the cyberattack, after tracing multiple Internet addresses to a Chinese city near North Korea. They have not ruled out possible involvement of North Korea in the attack.
Pyongyang denied any role in the cyberattacks, calling such suggestions part of a “smear campaign” by unpopular South Korean leaders.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday