Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Saturday accused his vice president of plotting with the US embassy to remove him.
In a massive tent in an open field in the capital, Harare, Mugabe told about 12,000 members of the ruling Zanu-PF party that his spies had followed Zimbabwean Vice President Joice Mujuru to the US embassy, where he said she held secret meetings to plan his assassination.
The three-day party congress also formalized Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe’s position as leader of the Zanu-PF women’s league.
The party congress re-elected the 90-year-old Robert Mugabe to another five-year term as party president and authorized him to personally choose his vice president and other top party posts.
“I am open to competition, but not when it involves taking me out the [Laurent] Kabila way,” said Mugabe, referring to former Democratic Republic of Congo president assassinated by one of his bodyguards in 2001.
US Department of State spokeswoman Jen Psaki said: “[The] allegations made about the activities of the US embassy in Zimbabwe are baseless and do not merit a response.”
“The United States remains a steadfast friend of the Zimbabwean people,” she added.
Mujuru, once a freedom fighter in Mugabe’s army known by the nom de guerre “Spill Blood” in the local Shona language, is now a political outcast accused of conspiring with witches and foreign agents to remove the president.
“I met Joice when she was a young kid in the war,” Mugabe said. “I strengthened her and even pushed her to get an education until she got a doctorate.”
Mujuru, who became a member of the Cabinet at the age of 25 when Mugabe was elected president in 1980, was removed as the party’s vice president during the congress.
Mugabe said his wife, Grace Mugabe, pushed him to appoint Mujuru as vice president in 2004.
Mugabe said he plans to announce Mujuru’s successor later this week and assured a cheering crowd that the vice president and her allies, including spokesman Rugare Gumbo, who was also suspended, will not be considered.
“There will be disappointments,” he said.
Zimbabwean Minister of Justice Emmerson Mnangagwa, who suffered the same treatment as Mujuru a decade ago, but is back in favor, is considered to be a leading contender.
Mujuru remains vice president of Zimbabwe, as Mugabe will need parliament’s approval to remove her from government. She did not attend the party meeting.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures