A man with Down syndrome in France got truckloads of cards — about 30,000 from around the world — for his 30th birthday, after his mother put out a call on Facebook that went viral.
By the time Manuel Parisseaux’s birthday rolled around on Saturday so many letters had arrived his family in Calais in northern France had to store them in a neighbor’s garage.
“I don’t understand why it got so big. Manuel is like us, he is moved to tears,” said his mother, Jacqueline Parisseaux, 61.
It all started on Nov. 3 when the mother, a childcare worker, said she told her husband: “We are going all out to celebrate” Manuel’s birthday this year.
So Jacqueline Parisseaux and her husband posted the following message on her husband’s Facebook page, hoping a few people would take notice:
“My son Manuel is going to turn 30 years old on November 22. He has Down syndrome. I’m writing to ask you to take a couple minutes to send him a little card and to pass this information on to your friends so the chain doesn’t get broken. I thank you all for your gesture, which will make my Manu so happy,” they wrote.
The cards came by the dozens at first, but then hundreds began to arrive from around the world.
Soon the postal worker could not deliver all the cards and they began to come by truck.
“It snowballed immediately,” the mother said. “We had a few hassles with Facebook because our post was shared 120,000 times and they thought we were a business or that we were running a scam.”
The response was global.
“We got cards from everywhere — Sri Lanka, Chicago, Hong Kong, and sometimes with child’s drawings,” the mother said, holding back tears.
The family was trying to sort through all the cards and have promised to keep every one of them, “but not respond to all of them,” the mother said, smiling.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of