Singaporeans outraged by an electronics shop that left a Vietnamese tourist in tears after a telephone-sale scam have raised thousands of dollars to compensate him, a crowdfunding site showed yesterday.
Factory worker Pham Van Thoai, 28, on Monday forked out S$950 (US$730) to buy a new iPhone 6 in the Sim Lim Square electronics mall, which has long been known to victimize tourists.
However, employees of the “Mobile Air” store refused to allow him to leave with the phone unless he paid an additional S$1,500 in “warranty fees.”
He was eventually given a partial refund of S$400, with no phone in hand, after police intervention.
A video widely shared on social media showed Pham kneeling down and begging the shop owner and employees for his full cash payment while they laughed at him.
Singapore media reports said Pham earns the equivalent of US$160 a month in Vietnam and had saved up for months to buy the latest iPhone for his girlfriend.
A crowdfunding campaign launched on the Indiegogo portal to buy Pham an iPhone 6 reached US$11,000 by midday yesterday, with more than 1,400 donors.
“This is not OK, this is not right. We are NOT a nation of thieves and cheats,” wrote Singaporean technology entrepreneur Gabriel Kang, who initiated the campaign a day after the incident.
“While we cannot undo those traumatic and humiliating scenes he has had to endure, we can try to make things right. Let’s give the man an iPhone 6,” Kang wrote on the campaign site.
Despite the huge amount collected on his behalf, Pham said he would only accept the amount he had to forfeit at the store.
“I will accept only US$550 donated by kind people. Nothing more. I’m grateful for all your kindness, but I do not want to take more than what I’ve lost,” he told the Chinese-language Lianhe Zaobao newspaper.
The incident has touched a raw nerve in wealthy, tech-savvy Singapore, which depends heavily on tourism revenues.
The city-state of 5.5 million people attracted nearly 16 million tourists last year.
The six-story Sim Lim Square mall has a bad reputation for a small number of rogue retailers who prey on unsuspecting tourists looking to purchase the latest gadgets before returning home.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting