The man suspected of killing a Canadian soldier and attacking the country’s Parliament building last week made a video of himself beforehand, evidence he was driven by ideological and political motives, police said on Sunday.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a statement that they were conducting a detailed analysis of the video reportedly made by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau and could not release it.
Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, allegedly stormed into the Parliament building with a rifle on Wednesday last week after shooting and killing Canadian Army Reserve Corporal Nathan Cirillo at a nearby monument to Canada’s war dead, police said. Zehaf-Bibeau was shot dead in the building.
The Canadian federal police force said on Sunday that it believed a knife carried by Zehaf-Bibeau was taken from his aunt’s property, but added it was still looking into the origin of the gun he used.
“It is an old and uncommon gun. We suspect that he could have similarly hidden the gun on the property, but our inquiries continue,” the statement said.
The RCMP also said the suspect had worked in Alberta’s oil fields and used the money he made to finance his activities in the days leading up to the attack. He had been living in an Ottawa homeless shelter just before the shooting.
The police were still investigating Zehaf-Bibeau’s interactions with numerous people in the days before the attack to find out whether these could have contributed to or facilitated his crime.
Security has been tighter since the shooting. Two days earlier, another man described by police as radicalized reportedly drove over two soldiers in Quebec with a car, killing one.
The suspected attacker, 25-year-old Martin Rouleau, was shot and killed by police.
The incidents, which police said were the work of Canadian citizens who were recent converts to Islam, came during the same week that Canada sent additional jet fighters to the Middle East to take part in airstrikes against Islamic State militants.
Canadian officials vowed to keep up their involvement in the military campaign against the group formerly known as the Islamic State of Syria and the Levant despite the incidents and planned to reopen the Parliament building to the public yesterday, though they said they would begin locking the doors overnight.
In a letter to Canadian news agency Postmedia, Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother denied an RCMP statement that she had told them her son had intended to travel to Syria.
Her son, who came to Ottawa from Vancouver seeking a passport, had wanted to travel to Saudi Arabia to study the Koran, Susan Bibeau said in the letter.
The nation also prepared for two funerals, with Cirillo to be laid to rest in his hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, today. A funeral for 53-year-old Canadian Armed Forces Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was set for Saturday in Quebec.
On Sunday, about 100 police, firefighters and other emergency workers held a disaster-response drill in downtown Toronto.
The drill had been long planned and was not a reaction to the twin attacks, though some acknowledged it took on a more urgent tone in the wake of the incidents.
“We had to be very specific with our strategic briefing after what happened in Ottawa,” Toronto Police Department Staff Sergeant Daniel Martin said.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of
BIGGER ROLE: Beijing has said it maintains an impartial stance on the war in Ukraine, but by training Russian troops, China is far more involved than previously known China’s armed forces secretly trained about 200 Russian military personnel in China late last year, and some have since returned to fight in Ukraine, according to three European intelligence agencies and documents seen by Reuters. While China and Russia have held a number of joint military exercises since Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Beijing has repeatedly said that it is neutral in the conflict and presents itself as a peace mediator. The covert training sessions, which predominantly focused on the use of drones, were outlined in a dual-language Russian-Chinese agreement signed by senior Russian and Chinese officers in Beijing on