Australia became the first country to detail troop numbers and aircraft for a US-led coalition fighting Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq, as Washington drums up support for global action to counter the terrorist threat.
Australia Prime Minister Tony Abbott yesterday said a 600-strong force comprising 400 air force personnel and 200 special forces soldiers would be deployed to a US military base in the United Arab Emirates.
A number of countries have responded to US President Barack Obama’s call to join a coalition against Islamic State, but Australia is the first to publicly provide specific troop numbers and military hardware for the mission.
Obama is leading an effort to form a coalition of Western allies and Gulf Arab states to take on the extremist group, whose savage methods have included beheading two US journalists and a British aid worker.
Abbott said along with the troops, Australia would send eight super hornet fighter jets, an early warning and control aircraft, and an aerial-refuelling aircraft. He said they would be deployed in the coming days.
A task group of military advisers to assist Iraqi and other security forces fighting the militants would form part of the deployment, but Abbott said he had not yet made the decision to commit troops to combat action.
“I have to warn the Australian people that should this preparation and deployment extend into combat operations, that this could go on for quite some time,” he told reporters in the northern city of Darwin.
Abbott said Australia did not intend to operate in Syria.
Obama announced his plans in a prime time address on Wednesday last week to build an alliance to root out Islamic State in both Syria and Iraq, plunging the US into two conflicts in which nearly every country in the Middle East has a stake.
US Secretary of State John Kerry is touring the Middle East to try to secure backing for the plan, and on Thursday won backing for a “coordinated military campaign” from 10 Arab countries — Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and six Gulf states, including rich rivals Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
However, a lack of detail on commitments from NATO allies and Turkey’s reluctance to play a frontline role have highlighted the difficulty of building a willing coalition for a complex military campaign.
Britain has said it supports US air strikes and British Prime Minister David Cameron has said repeatedly that Britain itself has ruled nothing out except combat troops on the ground.
Like Australia, Britain has delivered humanitarian aid, carried out surveillance, given weapons to Kurds and promised training in Iraq.
France has confirmed its commitment to use military force in Iraq, but it was unclear whether France would join strikes in Syria.
Germany has said it will not take part in air strikes.
US officials say Kerry is also seeking permission to make more use of bases in the region and fly more warplanes overhead.
The region has been galvanized since June, when Islamic State fighters, already in control of much of Syria, swept through northern Iraq, seizing cities, slaughtering prisoners and proclaiming a “caliphate” that would rule over all Muslims.
The White House says the group is a threat to the West as well, attracting fighters from around the world who could return to carry out attacks at home.
The US resumed air strikes in Iraq last month for the first time since the withdrawal of the final US troops from the country in 2011.
The raids followed major gains by Islamic State, which has declared an Islamic caliphate in areas it controls in Syria and Iraq, as well as a series of grisly videos showing the beheading of captured Westerners.
Islamic State stirred new outrage on Saturday with a video purporting to show the beheading of British aid worker David Haines.
Cameron called it “a despicable and appalling murder” and vowed to bring the killers to justice.
Describing the Islamic State as a “death cult,” Abbott said the beheadings had made him “more resolved than ever to do what we reasonably can to disrupt, degrade and if possible, destroy this movement”.
The Australian government on Friday raised its domestic terror alert to “high” for the first time, citing the likelihood of terrorist attacks by Australian citizens radicalized in Iraq or Syria.
Up to 160 Australians have either been involved in fighting there or actively supported it, officials said, and at least 20 have returned to Australia after fighting in the Middle East and pose a national security risk.
“These terrorists and would-be terrorists are not targeting us for what we have done, or for what we might do — they are targeting us for who we are,” Abbott said.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference