Hip-hop star Kanye West and reality television celebrity Kim Kardashian are getting married in Florence this month — and some locals are not happy about the happy couple taking over some of their most beautiful monuments.
The wedding is planned for Saturday next week and the ceremony will be held in the Forte Belvedere — a 16th-century fortress built by the Medici family now used for exhibitions.
A spokesman for Florence city hall confirmed the reports and said the money would go to funding city projects.
Renting out the venue will bring in 300,000 euros (US$411,000) into city coffers, according to media reports, but local opposition candidates for mayor in an election later this month are up in arms over the move.
Passions were further inflamed by the renting-out of the Cappellone degli Spagnoli, a chapel with 14th-century frescoes in the Santa Maria Novella Basilica complex for a dinner for JPMorgan bank for 20,000 euros.
Right-wing candidate Achille Totaro said these amounted to “a sell-off of Florence’s monuments,” while the anti-establishment Five Star Movement’s Miriam Amato called for “greater respect for our city’s treasures.”
However, Florence Deputy Mayor Dario Nardella, who is also running for election, said: “We are respecting all the rules.”
“If hosting events like private business dinners is good for finding resources for our community and for our cultural heritage, then I think it is right,” he said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against