Two new objects were spotted in the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 yesterday, the Australian government said, with a ship steaming to the scene and expected to be in the area “within hours.”
The new pieces are different to those seen by a Chinese plane earlier in the day and were located by a Royal Australian Air Force P-3 Orion about 2,500km southwest of Perth in Australia, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told parliament.
“The crew on board the Orion reported seeing two objects, the first a gray or green circular object and the second an orange rectangular object,” he added.
The HMAS Success, which has a crane capable of retrieving any wreckage, was in the area and attempting to recover the objects.
“HMAS Success is in the vicinity and it is possible that the objects could be received within the next few hours, or by tomorrow morning at the latest,” Malaysian Minister of Defense and Acting Minister of Transport Hishammuddin Hussein said in Kuala Lumpur.
Abbott said that a US Navy Poseidon, a second Royal Australian Orion and a Japanese Orion were also en route to the area.
“I caution again ... that we don’t know whether any of these objects are from MH370, they could be flotsam,” he said.
“Nevertheless, we are hopeful that we can recover these objects soon and they will take us a step closer to resolving this tragic mystery,” the prime minister added. “This is an extraordinary mystery, an absolutely baffling mystery.”
Earlier yesterday, a Chinese aircrew searching for the vanished airplane reported seeing “suspicious objects” in the area.
The larger objects were “white and square,” Xinhua news agency said, adding that Chinese icebreaker Xuelong was on its way to the scene.
The new leads boosted hopes of a breakthrough in the hunt for the Boeing 777 that disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The developments follow satellite images and data captured by Australia, China and France in recent days showing indistinct objects in the southern Indian Ocean, along with the visual sighting of a wooden pallet and other debris from a spotter plane on Saturday.
Australian, US and New Zealand planes have been flying sorties for five days looking for the Boeing 777. Ten aircraft were involved in yesterday’s search after the arrival of two giant Chinese Ilyushin IL-76 reconnaissance planes along with two Japanese P-3 Orions.
They have been criss-crossing a cumulative area of 68,500km2.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against