The international team hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean has not turned up anything so far, and Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said the suspected debris may have sunk.
Aircraft and ships have renewed a search in the Andaman Sea between India and Thailand, going over areas that have already been exhaustively swept to find some clue to unlock one of the most inexplicable mysteries in modern aviation.
The Boeing 777 went missing almost two weeks ago off the Malaysian coast with 239 people aboard. There has been no confirmed sign of wreckage, but two objects seen floating deep south in the Indian Ocean were considered a credibe lead and set off a huge hunt on Thursday.
Australian authorities said the first aircraft to sweep treacherous seas yesterday in an area about 2,500km southwest of Perth was on its way back to base without spotting the objects picked out by satellite images five days ago.
“Something that was floating on the sea that long ago may no longer be floating,” Truss told reporters in Perth. “It may have slipped to the bottom.”
However, the search is continuing and Australian, New Zealand and US aircraft would be joined by Chinese aircraft today and two Japanese planes tomorrow.
“It’s about the most inaccessible spot that you can imagine on the face of the Earth, but if there is anything down there, we will find it,” Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters in Papua New Guineau, where he is on a visit.
“Now it could just be a container that’s fallen off a ship. We just don’t know, but we owe it to the families, and the friends and the loved ones to do everything we can to try to resolve what is as yet an extraordinary riddle,” Abbott said.
India said it was sending two aircraft, a Poseidon P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft and a C-130 Hercules transporter, to join the hunt in the Indian Ocean. It is also sending another P-8I and four warships to search in the Andaman Sea, where the plane was last seen on military radar on March 8.
In New Delhi, officials said the search in areas around the Andaman island chain was not at the request of Malaysian authorities coordinating the global search for the plane.
“All the navies of the world have SAR regions,” said Captain D.K. Sharma, an Indian navy spokesman, referring to search and rescue regions. “So we’re doing it at our own behest.
“We’re doing it on our own because the Malaysian plane is still missing,” he said.
Investigators suspect Flight MH370, which took off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing shortly after midnight on March 8, was deliberately diverted thousands of kilometers from its scheduled path. They say they are focusing on hijacking or sabotage, but have not ruled out technical problems.
The search for the plane also continues in other regions, including a wide arc sweeping northward from Laos to Kazakhstan.