Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy’s telephone was tapped during a judicial probe into financing for his 2007 election campaign, Le Monde newspaper reported, potentially presenting a new hurdle for Sarkozy, who is widely expected to run for office again.
The newspaper said the telephone tapping episode had given rise to suspicions Sarkozy had been secretly advised by a high court judge in exchange for help getting the judge a role in Monaco.
The alleged telephone tapping was denounced by Sarkozy’s lawyer, Thierry Herzog, as “monstrous.”
Herzog also said there had been “no influence peddling” in the context of contacts with the judge, named by Le Monde as Gilbert Azibert.
An attempt by reporters to reach Azibert via a telephone call to his office was unsuccessful on Friday.
A statement from Monaco’s judicial services department confirmed that Azibert had been a candidate for a role as a Monaco high court judge, but said there had been “no outside intervention” in the recruitment procedure.
The statement also said Azibert did not get the job.
The inquiry into election financing began in April last year, and is still at a stage that remains secret under French legal procedure, precluding any comment from investigating magistrates.
Herzog told the newspaper his long-held belief the ex-president’s telephone conversations were being monitored was reinforced when he learned that the same thing had happened to Sarkozy’s former French minister of the interior Brice Hortefeux.
“It’s not just scandalous, it’s monstrous. It’s a monumental violation of legal defense rights... Mr Sarkozy is probably still being phone-tapped,” he told the newspaper.
Sarkozy is expected by many to contest the 2017 presidential election after his defeat by French President Francois Hollande two years ago.
The alleged telephone tapping, ordered by magistrates investigating allegations that late Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi funded Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign, could create fresh legal hurdles to his running again for power.
The tapping allegations came a day after news that Sarkozy and his wife, Carla Bruni, would file a legal complaint over secret audio recordings made of them by an adviser during the 2012 election campaign.
Revelations that Patrick Buisson, part of Sarkozy’s inner circle, recorded hours of talks with the conservative leader and his entourage have caused uproar and disarray in his opposition UMP party weeks before local elections.
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,