North Korea’s state media have erased almost their entire online archives since the execution of Kim Jong-un’s uncle Jang Song-thaek.
The removal of tens of thousands of articles is the largest deletion ever carried out by the official KCNA news agency and the Rodong Sinmun newspaper.
Several reports mentioning Jang had already been edited to remove references to him and other aides, while footage had also been cut so that it no longer included him, but subsequently all articles from before October appear to have been removed from KCNA’s North Korea-hosted site.
It is unclear whether they will be reposted at some point or have disappeared for good.
The mass deletion was spotted by NK News, a Web site covering North Korea.
BIG KILL RATIO
Frank Feinstein, a New Zealand-based programmer who tracks online media for NK News, told the site: “There were 35,000 articles dated September 2013 or earlier on KCNA in Korean. If they’re leaving the odd one in, it’s still a kill ratio of 98-99%.”
Translations in English, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese were also deleted, he said. Another 20,000 articles had vanished from the archives of Rodong Sinmun.
Chad O’Carroll, founder of NK News, said the “Orwellian” deletions appeared to have been done between Friday and Saturday, following selective editing and deletion of articles mentioning Jang.
In the past there have been “20 or 30 articles that disappeared for no apparent reason, but nothing on this scale,” O’Carroll said. “It will be very interesting to see whether the deletion sticks.”
While a Japanese-hosted KCNA site still has older archive material, O’Carroll said it is run from outside North Korea and has never carried all the agency’s material.
Only a tiny proportion of North Koreans have access to the Internet, meaning that the Web archives are used primarily by those outside the country.
Internally, information is tightly controlled by the regime — most economic statistics are classified, as well as more obviously sensitive information. Revising documents is also common.
Andrei Lankov, an expert on North Korea, said in his book The Real North Korea that when he lived in Pyongyang in the 1980s, “the authorities took care to isolate the populace not only from the foreign media, but also from the official publications of earlier years.”
“All North Korean periodicals, and a significant number of publications on social and political topics, were regularly removed from common access libraries and could only be perused by people with special permission,” Lankov said.
“This rule was obviously introduced to ensure that the changes in the policy line of the regime would remain unnoticeable to the populace,” Lankov added.
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after