Icy winter storms with hurricane-force winds on Friday lashed northern Europe, where the death toll rose to 10, while hundreds of thousands suffered power blackouts and road, rail and air transport chaos.
The latest known victim was an elderly woman in north-central Sweden who was found dead in the snow outside her apartment, wearing only her dressing gown.
Also in Sweden, a man was killed by a falling tree on Friday, and two Philippine sailors who were swept off a Dutch-registered ship into freezing waters on Thursday remained unaccounted for, with the search called off.
Atlantic storm Xaver, having barreled across Britain, where two people died on Thursday, packed winds of up to 158kph as it lashed Germany, also battering the Netherlands, Poland and southern Scandinavia.
Across northern Europe, emergency services battled to evacuate flooded harbor areas, sandbag sodden dikes and repair damage from toppled trees that crashed onto houses, highways, train tracks and electricity lines.
Blackouts hit 400,000 households in Poland and affected 50,000 people in Sweden, and 4,000 homes in Germany, while thousands of air passengers were stranded as hundreds of flights were canceled at Amsterdam, Berlin, Hamburg, Gdansk and other airports.
The highest ocean swells in decades — whipped up by the strong winds and a large tidal surge — smashed into dikes in northern Germany and the Netherlands, which however reported no major breaches.
Three people were killed in Poland when a tree crashed down onto their car near the northern town of Lembork, firefighters’ spokesman Bogdan Madej said.
“Three people died on the spot, another was taken to hospital,” he said.
Despite the deaths and turmoil, affected countries breathed a sigh of relief on Friday that the damage was not worse — mindful of catastrophic floods that hit North Sea countries in 1953, when more than 2,000 people died.
Britain reported the worst tidal surge since that disaster, but Environment Agency spokesman Tim Connell told the BBC that “the defenses seemed to have held up well.”
In northern Germany, the Elbe River harbor of Hamburg was under more than 6m of water — the second-highest level since records were first kept in 1825 — leaving only the tops of lamp posts sticking out of the freezing waters.
Also in Hamburg, a fallen tree derailed a suburban commuter train which then hit a bridge post. The fire brigade freed six passengers from the train, one with minor injuries.
In northern Schleswig-Holstein state, emergency services were called out more than 2,000 times, dealing with road and rail accidents that left four people injured, roofs ripped off houses and smashed windows.
In snowy Berlin, hefty winds brought down the 13m-tall Christmas tree outside the residence of German President Joachim Gauck.
Still, German authorities said the worst had been averted, compared with disasters such as severe floods in 1962 that left 340 people dead.
“Germany held its breath and looked at the dikes, and they withstood” the high seas, Schleswig-Holstein Minister of the Environment Robert Habeck said.
“We are much better prepared today” than in 1962, Christian Herold of the meteorological service said, with dikes higher and building design improved.
In Scandinavia, the Oeresund road and rail bridge between Sweden and Denmark was closed overnight, but reopened early on Friday as authorities scaled down the alert level from the maximum 3 to 2.
However, several southern Swedish cities were still battling floods with water levels 1.5m higher near the ports in Helsingborg and Malmo, and all rail travel in the region was suspended until yesterday.
However, in the low-lying Netherlands defenses withstood water levels that had reached their highest point since the floods of 1953, public broadcaster NOS reported.
Female flight attendants working for Japan Airlines would next month be allowed to wear trousers and abandon high heels, the company said on Thursday, after a feminist campaign took off. The airline became one of the first major Japanese firms to announce the shift after a campaign known as #KuToo last year rejected mandatory high heels at work, drawing more than 32,000 signatures in an online petition. The campaign is part of a wider feminism movement in Japan, with Japan Airlines saying that the new policy was aimed at boosting a “diverse working environment.” PANTS PERMIT “This will be the first time to introduce
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including
PORNHUB: Campaigners warn that videos of serious crimes, such as rape, are being uploaded to the site, which has failed to ban or moderate illegal content British lawmakers and campaigners are calling for urgent action to stop videos of rape, revenge porn and child abuse being posted on Pornhub as traffic to the site booms amid a worldwide COVID-19 lockdown. Pornhub’s traffic is up a record 12 percent this month compared with last month, as millions of people across the world are told to stay in their homes. Pornhub owner Mindgeek has used the coronavirus lockdowns to promote its site, giving free Premium access to people living in isolation in Italy, Spain and France. The offer has led to a huge increase in visits to the site from affected
TARGETED: Although hackers are known to be seeking to capitalize on concern over COVID-19, a cybersecurity expert said he had never seen anything to this extent before Elite hackers tried to break into the WHO earlier this month, sources said, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyberattacks. The identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful, WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said. However, he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain COVID-19, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide. The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group,