Internet gambling is on a roll in the US market after years lurking in the shadows.
New Jersey starts its online wagering on Tuesday next week, becoming the most populous state to do so after Nevada and Delaware.
Other states have become active since 2011, when the US federal government signaled it would not block most forms of Internet wagering. California, Illinois and Pennsylvania are considering such moves.
Using geolocation technology, the systems require that gamblers be located within the state. However, reciprocal agreements could allow gamblers to cross state lines as more states authorize online bets.
“Once these states are successful within their borders, they will figure out how to pool players across state lines to take bets from each other, and a lot of other states will jump in,” Whittier Law School professor I. Nelson Rose said.
Morgan Stanley estimated legal US online gambling revenues would reach US$670 million next year, increasing to US$9.3 billion in 2020.
The launch in a handful of states “will release a floodgate of investor interest in the online space, and spur new states to open to reap tax dollars,” analyst Vaughan Lewis said in a note to clients.
The US has a patchwork of gambling regulations. While casino gambling was only allowed in Nevada a few decades ago, New Jersey allowed casinos in Atlantic City in the 1970s and many states have either commercial or Indian tribe casinos.
Until recently, the federal government claimed that online gambling was unlawful. However, a 2011 US Department of Justice legal opinion said only sports betting would be considered illegal.
Nevada authorized online poker last year, and Delaware and New Jersey passed laws allowing a full range of casino games.
However, Rose said the Internet opens up new categories of gambling, ranging from “social” games to virtual slot machines.
The gaming industry relies on federal guidelines for online betting, but US Congress has been deadlocked on the matter amid disputes over whether any law would cover poker alone or a full range of games.
Despite existing bans, Americans spent US$2.6 billion on online gambling last year in a global industry worth US$33 billion, according to a study for the American Gaming Association, which represents commercial casino operators.
Chris Thom, chairman of the online payment and identification firm SecureTrading, said the patchwork state-by-state system hampers efforts to develop a competitive online gaming industry in the US.
Thom said federal legislation would enable greater consumer protection and help outlaw unlicensed operators.
A national system could also generate revenues for the federal government.
However, “the longer it goes on, the more difficult it is to produce a federal bill that is clean and straightforward,” Thom said, adding that states will want to maintain existing rules and not join a federal system.
The American Gaming Association has also called for federal rules.
“While we have long supported federal regulation versus state regulation, the most important point is that online gaming must be regulated to protect consumers and ensure the integrity of the games,” association president Geoff Freeman said.
US Representative Jim McDermott has introduced a bill to ensure taxes and fees are collected within a regulated regime.
“You’d hope this opportunity to generate billions in economic activity and new government revenues will get serious consideration,” said Michael Waxman of the Safe and Secure Internet Gambling Initiative.
Online gambling critics warn of the dangers of unhindered expansion online — that geographic and age restrictions could be easily bypassed, and unsavory elements could use the systems to launder money.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses