North and South Korea held talks yesterday on resuming reunions for families separated for decades by the 1950-1953 Korean War as they seek to build on a recent easing of cross-border tensions.
The reunion program was suspended after the North’s shelling of a South Korean border island in November 2010 and its resumption would mark a symbolic, but important step.
The talks, between North and South Korean Red Cross officials, took place in the border “truce” village of Panmunjom, where the 1953 ceasefire ending hostilities was signed.
Photo: EPA / KOREA POOL
“The issue of separated families is one of the most urgent tasks,” the head of the South’s Red Cross delegation told reporters on his way to the venue.
“I will do my best to relieve their pain,” he was quoted as saying by the Yonhap news agency.
The talks were almost derailed by a debate over the venue, with the North wanting the meeting to be held at its Mount Kumgang resort.
As well as the family reunions, the North is keen to restart South Korean tours to Mount Kumgang, but Seoul insists that the two issues should not be linked together.
The South suspended the tours in 2008 after a North Korean soldier shot dead a female tourist who strayed into a restricted zone.
The push to restart the reunions was initiated last week by South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who urged Pyongyang to “open its heart” and agree to kickstart the program in time for next month’s Chuseok holiday — when Korean families traditionally gather together.
Millions of Koreans were left separated by the war, which sealed the peninsula’s division. Most have died without having had a chance to meet family members last seen six decades ago. About 72,000 South Koreans — nearly half of them aged over 80 — are still alive and wait-listed for a chance to join the highly competitive family reunion events, which select only up to a few hundred participants each time.
At the reunions, North and South Koreans typically meet in the North for two or three days before the South Koreans — many in tears — head home again.
For those too infirm to travel, reunions via video conferencing have been arranged in recent years.
The reunion program began in 2000 following an historic inter-Korean summit. Sporadic events since then have seen about 17,000 people briefly reunited.
The last such meeting took place in late 2010, before the North’s shelling of Yeonpyeong Island.
Inter-Korean relations have showed signs of improving recently after months of heightened military tensions that followed the North’s nuclear test in February.
The two sides have already agreed to work on reopening their Kaesong joint industrial zone which was shut down in April and the South has accepted Pyongyang’s proposal for talks on the Mount Kumgang tours — although not until late next month.
Seoul has sought to play down expectations of a sudden turnaround in relations with the North, saying the recent breakthroughs are just the start of what will be a long, incremental progress.
Park has also made it clear that any substantial dialog on strategic issues can only take place if North Korea offers a tangible commitment to abandon its nuclear weapons program.
Pyongyang has said it will never allow its nuclear deterrent to be used as a bargaining chip.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies