Thu, Jul 18, 2013 - Page 7 News List

Wolrd News Quick Take

Agencies

UNITED STATES

Leak cancels spacewalk

A spacewalk to work on the International Space Station ended abruptly on Tuesday when a water-like liquid started building up inside an Italian astronaut’s helmet, NASA officials said. US astronaut Chris Cassidy and Italy’s Luca Parmitano were less than an hour into a planned six-hour outing when Parmitano reported what seemed to be water inside his helmet. “My head is really wet and I have a feeling it’s increasing,” Parmitano radioed to flight controllers in Houston. Thinking it might be his drink bag leaking, Parmitano drained the bag, but in the weightless environment of space, blobs of liquid continued to collect in his helmet. “Where’s it coming from?” Parmitano said. “It’s too much. Now it’s in my eyes.” With the astronaut at risk of choking or drowning, NASA called off the spacewalk. Engineers estimate about 1 liter to 1.5 liters of water had collected inside Parmitano’s spacesuit by the time station crew members were able to get to him and take off his helmet.

CANADA

‘Glee’ star overdosed: report

Cory Monteith, the Canadian star of the hit TV musical series Glee, died of an apparent overdose of heroin and alcohol, the British Columbia Coroner’s Office said on Tuesday. The 31-year-old Monteith, who had struggled in the past with substance abuse and checked into a rehabilitation facility in April, was found dead on Saturday in his Vancouver hotel room. “There is no evidence to suggest this is anything other than the most sad and tragic accident,” coroner Barbara McLintock said in a statement released on YouTube. McLintock said the coroner’s investigation was continuing. Monteith starred on Glee as Finn Hudson, a star high-school football player who joined a motley crew of students in the glee club.

UNITED STATES

Army trial jury picking starts

Jury selection began on Tuesday for the trial of Army General Brigadier General Jeffrey Sinclair, who is charged with sexually assaulting a subordinate, in the latest in a string of sexual misconduct allegations in the military. The charges against Sinclair led to his removal from command last year in Afghanistan. Sinclair, a 27-year army veteran, pleaded not guilty on Monday to charges of forcible sodomy, wrongful sexual conduct, possessing pornography while deployed and conduct unbecoming of an officer. The most serious charges stem from accusations that he forced a subordinate with whom he acknowledges having a three-year affair to perform oral sex on two occasions. He is also accused of eliciting nude e-mails and text messages from other female subordinates. He could be sent to prison for life if convicted of the most serious charge: forcible sodomy.

UNITED STATES

Guard charged for sex abuse

An Ohio National Guard major who once said he wanted to adopt a girl from Africa to protect her from rape has been indicted on charges he sexually abused three children, including two of his own. A grand jury indicted the man on charges of rape, sexual battery and gross sexual imposition between 2006 and last year. The indictment said he is the father of two of the children, but does not give his relationship with the third. The man is not being named to protect the children’s identities. The Guard say he is on duty in Kuwait. The man spoke in a 2008 story in a military publication about his large family and his desire to adopt an African girl to protect her from sexual assault.

This story has been viewed 353 times.
TOP top