Fri, Jul 12, 2013 - Page 7 News List

Quebec crash missing presumed dead

EASY TARGET:The railway company’s head, who met jeers when he arrived in the devastated town, blamed the train’s engineer for not setting the brakes properly

AP, LAC-MEGANTIC, Quebec

Wrecked oil tankers and debris from a runaway train that derailed and exploded in Lac-Megantic in Quebec, Canada, smolder on Monday.

Photo: AFP

Everyone missing in the fiery crash of a runaway oil train in Quebec is presumed dead, police told grieving families, bringing the death toll to 50 in Canada’s worst railway catastrophe in almost 150 years.

Meanwhile, attention focused on the chief executive officer of the railway’s parent company, who faced jeers from local residents and blamed the train’s engineer for improperly setting its brakes before the disaster.

Officials on Wednesday evening said that 20 bodies had been found in this burned-out town and 30 people were missing.

“We informed them of the potential loss of their loved ones,” said Quebec police inspector Michel Forget, who came to an afternoon news briefing from a meeting with families of the dead and missing. “You have to understand that it’s a very emotional moment.”

Edward Burkhardt, the head of the train’s US-based parent company, blamed the engineer for failing to set the brakes properly before the unmanned Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway train hurtled down an 11km incline, derailed and ignited in the center of Lac-Megantic early on Saturday. All but one of its 73 cars was carrying oil, and at least five exploded.

The intensity of the explosions and fire made parts of the devastated town too hot and dangerous to enter and find bodies days after the disaster.

Only one body had been formally identified, Genevieve Guilbault of the coroner’s office said.

She described efforts to identify the other remains as “very long and arduous work.”

Burkhardt, president and CEO of the railway’s parent company, Rail World Inc, faced jeers from residents and scorn from Quebec’s premier as he made his first visit to the town since the disaster. He was expected to meet with residents and the mayor yesterday.

Burkhardt said the train’s engineer had been suspended without pay and was under “police control.”

Investigators also had spoken with Burkhardt during his visit, police official Sergeant Benoit Richard said. He did not elaborate.

Until Wednesday, the railway company had defended its employees’ actions, but that changed abruptly as Burkhardt singled out the engineer.

“We think he applied some hand brakes, but the question is, did he apply enough of them?” Burkhardt said. “He said he applied 11 hand brakes. We think that’s not true. Initially we believed him, but now we don’t.”

Burkhardt did not name the engineer, though the company had previously identified the employee as Tom Harding of Quebec. Harding has not spoken publicly since the crash.

“He’s not in jail, but police have talked about prosecuting him,” Burkhardt said. “I understand exactly why the police are considering criminal charges ... If that’s the case, let the chips fall where they may.”

Investigators are also looking at a fire on the same train just hours before the disaster.

A fire official has said the train’s power was shut down as standard operating procedure, meaning the train’s air brakes would have been disabled. In that case, hand brakes on individual train cars would have been needed.

The derailment is Canada’s worst railway disaster since a train plunged into a Quebec river in 1864, killing 99.

Quebec police have said they were pursuing a wide-ranging criminal investigation, extending to the possibilities of criminal negligence and some sort of tampering with the train before the crash. The heart of the town’s central business district is being treated as a crime scene and remained cordoned off by police tape.

This story has been viewed 1039 times.
TOP top