Fri, Jun 07, 2013 - Page 6 News List

North and South Korea agree to talks

LOTS OF QUESTIONS:Analysts say the sincerity of Pyongyang’s offer is open to doubt, but the ball is now in Seoul’s court. No timetable has been announced

AFP, SEOUL

North and South Korea yesterday agreed in principle to hold their first official talks for years, signaling a possible breakthrough in cross-border ties after months of escalated military tensions.

A surprise offer from Pyongyang proposed discussions on a range of commercial and humanitarian issues, from reopening a joint industrial complex to resuming cross-border family reunions.

The South replied within hours, with the Unification Ministry saying it viewed the offer “positively” and would announce a date, venue and agenda later.

“We hope that South and North Korea can build trust through this opportunity,” the ministry added.

China, the North’s sole major ally, reacted positively.

“China is happy and welcomes that the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] and ROK [Republic of Korea] agreed to resume their engagement and dialogue,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Hong Lei (洪磊) said.

Analysts also welcomed the development, but some advised caution, saying the precise nature and agenda of the dialogue might create insurmountable sticking points.

“I think this is an attempt by the North to seize the initiative, but it’s premature to say whether the offer is likely to lead to a sincere dialogue,” said Yang Moo-jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul.

Official contacts between Seoul and Pyongyang have been essentially frozen since the South accused the North of torpedoing one of its warships in March 2010 with the loss of 46 lives.

April and May this year saw tensions soar to worrying levels as the North, angered by joint South-US military drills and UN sanctions imposed after its nuclear test in February, threatened pre-emptive nuclear strikes.

The situation has calmed in recent weeks, with both sides circling warily around the idea of opening some sort of dialogue.

The North’s proposal, carried in a statement from the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, said the venue and date for talks “can be set to the convenience of the South side.”

Initial subjects for discussion would be the Kaesong joint industrial zone, which was closed at the height of the recent tensions, and the resumption of cross-border tours to the North’s Mount Kumgang resort, the committee said.

Humanitarian issues such as reuniting family members separated after the Korean War could also be discussed.

The committee said a positive response would see the North consider rolling back measures it took when relations went into a tailspin in April, including restoring a cross-border hotline.

South Korea had already offered working-level talks on Kaesong and Seoul is likely to be wary of agreeing to a much wider-ranging agenda.

While South Korean President Park Geun-hye has spoken of the need for dialogue, she has made it clear — with US backing — that substantive talks would require the North to show commitment to abandoning its nuclear weapons program.

Pyongyang has repeatedly insisted that its nuclear deterrent is not up for negotiation.

Pyongyang has repeatedly insisted that its nuclear deterrent is not up for negotiation.

“There could be some trouble in setting the agenda, and it’s natural to doubt North Korea’s sincerity,” said Paik Hak-soon, an analyst at the Sejong Institute think tank in Seoul.

“But this a typically strategic change of direction by the North, which puts the ball in the South’s court and I think it presents a genuine opportunity,” Paik said.

This story has been viewed 1077 times.
TOP top