A WHO official yesterday said that it was not surprising that a new strain of bird flu has spread to China’s capital after sickening dozens in the eastern part of the country.
Up until Saturday, when Beijing officials reported the capital’s first case of H7N9, all cases had been in Shanghai and other eastern areas of China. Yesterday, the first two cases were reported in Henan Province, which is next to Beijing.
Four new cases were also reported in Zhejiang Province yesterday by a provincial newspaper on its Weibo account.
It’s not the case that everyone confirmed infected with H7N9 was “clustered in one small area with the same source of exposure,” said Michael O’Leary, head of the WHO’s office in China. “So we’ve been expecting new cases to occur ... Furthermore, we still expect that there will be other cases.”
A seven-year-old girl was Beijing’s first confirmed case of H7N9, which has now sickened 55 people, of whom 11 have died.
Health officials believe the virus that was first spotted in humans last month is spreading through direct contact with infected fowl.
O’Leary said “the good news” was that there was still no evidence that humans had passed on the virus to other humans.
“As far as we know, all the cases are individually infected in a sporadic and not connected way,” he said, adding that the source of infection is still being investigated.
The girl, whose parents are in the live poultry trade, was admitted to a hospital on Thursday with symptoms of fever, sore throat, coughing and headache, the Beijing Health Bureau said.
O’Leary said early treatment can be effective, as demonstrated by the girl, who was recovering in hospital and in stable condition.
In the only other reported cases outside of eastern China, health officials in Henan Province announced that tests on two men on Thursday revealed they had the H7N9 virus.
They said a 34-year-old restaurant chef who had displayed flu symptoms for about a week was in critical condition in hospital, while a 65-year-old farmer who was in frequent contact with poultry was in stable condition after receiving treatment.
The officials said that 19 people who had been in close contact with the two men had not shown any flu symptoms.
The four newest patients in Zhejiang — a 64-year-old female farmer and three retirees aged 62, 75 and 79 — were all seriously ill, the Zhejiang Daily reported.
Additional reporting by AFP
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures