Sat, Mar 23, 2013 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

Agencies

SOUTH KOREA

Defense nominee quits

In a fresh blow to President Park Geun-hye, her nominee for defense minister stepped down yesterday. Ever since his nomination, Kim Byung-kwan, a retired four-star general, has been dogged by allegations of wrongdoing related to his recent stint working as a broker for an arms trading firm. More recently, allegations surfaced regarding hidden stock assets in a Myanmar natural gas company. “As of now, I am resigning as defense minister nominee for the smooth management of state affairs,” Kim said in a statement. “I wish the present security crisis will be successfully overcome and our national defense becomes stronger.” Park accepted Kim’s decision and asked the incumbent defense minister to extend his term, citing public anxiety over North Korea, her spokeswoman said.

JAPAN

Yakuza boss convicted

A “one-eyed” gangster, the No. 2 man in the nation’s biggest yakuza crime organization, was convicted of extortion yesterday in a high-profile victory for anti-mob police. Kiyoshi “Mekkachi” Takayama, 65, who reputedly lost the use of his eye in a swordfight early in his career, was jailed for six years. His underworld nickname of “Mekkachi” means “one-eyed” in the dialect of western Japan. Takayama is second in command of the Yamaguchi-gumi, a vast organized crime syndicate that had 27,700 members at the end of last year, according to the National Police Agency. He had been on ¥1.5 billion (US$15.7 million) bail for treatment of an illness since June last year. He had denied extorting ¥40 million from a construction company with the help of an affiliated gang boss, reports have said. However, presiding judge Akihiro Ogura told the court: “The constructor’s testimony that he had been the victim of extortion by the defendant is credible.”

INDIA

Italian marines set for trial

Two Italian marines flew back to New Dehli yesterday to face murder charges, after Rome dramatically reversed a decision that they would not return which had triggered a diplomatic firestorm. The government hailed Italy’s U-turn as a success for diplomacy after being earlier accused of violating international laws on diplomatic immunity. Italy said it had received assurances about the pair’s treatment, with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano paying tribute to the “sense of responsibility” displayed by the two marines. Italy caused outrage earlier this month by announcing Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone would not return to India after they were given leave to vote in an election, reneging on pledges made at the Supreme Court.

CANADA

‘Psycho’ case adjourned

A preliminary hearing on Thursday into the case of a former porn actor accused of murdering and dismembering a Chinese man was adjourned to April 8, court officials said. A Montreal court has been sitting since March 11 to assess evidence against Luka Rocco Magnotta, who is accused of butchering student Lin Jun (林俊) in May last year and posting footage of the killing on the Internet. The court has heard pre-trial testimony from more than 20 witnesses since the hearings began, mostly police officers and experts, while viewing photographs and video. When the hearing resumes next month, the judge is expected to hear evidence by video-link from witnesses in Vancouver and Europe, where Magnotta was arrested last year after an international manhunt. Magnotta, 30, the so-called “Canadian Psycho” has pleaded not guilty to first degree murder and other charges, including committing indignities to a body and harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

This story has been viewed 1188 times.
TOP top