Wed, Mar 13, 2013 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

Agencies

ITALY

Marines to dodge charges

Two Italian marines charged in India with killing two fishermen while on anti-piracy duty will not return there from a home visit granted to allow them to vote in last month’s election, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday. The ministry said India had not responded to requests to seek a diplomatic solution to the case and there was now a formal dispute between the two countries over the terms of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. “Italy has informed the Indian government that, given the formal initiation of an international dispute between the two states, the marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone will not return to India at the end of their home leave,” the ministry said in a statement.

NETHERLANDS

ICC case collapses

The International Criminal Court (ICC) case against a man accused alongside Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta collapsed on Monday, prosecutors said, raising the chances that charges against Kenyatta will also fail to stick. Last week’s election of Kenyatta, accused by the ICC of crimes against humanity, has complicated Kenya’s ties its Western allies which see it as a major bulwark against the rise of Islamist militancy in east Africa. The ICC charged Kenyatta alongside former civil servant Francis Muthaura of orchestrating the violence that followed the 2007 election in which 1,200 were killed and more than 100,000 were forced to flee their homes. However, ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said the decision of a key witness to recant their testimony forced her to drop charges against Muthaura. As the prosecution of Muthaura and Kenyatta is linked and based on a lot of the same evidence, the decision may well impact the case against the Kenyan president-elect.

POLAND

Orchestra employee charged

An employee of a philharmonic was charged with murder in the double homicide of a young female harpist and a security guard inside the orchestra’s building, prosecutors said on Monday. The two victims were found dead on Friday morning in the building of the Lower Silesia Philharmonic in Jelenia Gora. The 60-year-old guard was found on the ground floor near the entrance and the harpist, 27, was found on the first floor. A 29-year-old suspect, identified only as Michal M, has been questioned and charged with murder, prosecutors’ spokeswoman Violetta Niziolek said.

UNITED STATES

Boy admits prank calls

A 12-year-old boy admitted in court on Monday that he falsely reported to police last year that criminals with guns and explosives had invaded the home of actor Ashton Kutcher and shot people, the Los Angeles County District Attorney said. The boy, whose name was withheld because he is a minor, prompted police to dispatch emergency responders to the Two and a Half Men star’s Hollywood home in October last year. Such prank emergency calls are known as “swatting” because SWAT officers are often sent to such purported crime scenes. The child was charged with making a false bomb threat and computer intrusion because he placed the call from a computer. The boy has also been charged with a misdemeanor count of making a false emergency report when he allegedly placed a hoax call about gunshots being fired on the Los Angeles-area property of teen pop star Justin Bieber.

This story has been viewed 1111 times.
TOP top