China will overtake the US economically in six years, an official research institute predicts, and go on to become the world’s most important country in three decades more, state media said yesterday.
The findings came from the Nation’s Health Report issued by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the Global Times said, without giving details of the criteria used for the prediction.
China’s economy would be larger than the US’ by 2019, it cited the report as saying, and China’s “international status” would exceed that of the US by 2049.
China ranked as the 11th “healthiest” country out of about 100 nations, it said, just behind Costa Rica, with Sweden at No. 1.
The Xinhua news agency said China was given a national health status of “up to standard,” while the US, Japan and Britain were deemed “health deficient.”
“National health” was defined as a country’s “overall conditions ... using resource sufficiency and wealth distribution as the major criteria,” the Global Times said.
The report could not be independently obtained.
China’s stunning economic growth, increase in military spending and overlapping security interests in the Asia-Pacific region with the US have sparked concerns the countries could find themselves increasingly at odds in the coming decades as they jockey for global influence.
However, the Global Times said the report’s findings were seen by some as overly nationalistic.
“The report is indicative of an anti-US sentiment in Chinese society,” Fang Shimin (方是民), a whistleblower on academic fraud who uses the pseudonymn Fang Zhouzi (方舟子), told the paper.
“It casts the US as a potential threat and links the goals of China’s national revival to surpassing the US,” he added.
International analysts widely expect China’s economy to overtake the US’ in terms of GDP some time in the first half of this century, but they also say the US is likely to remain wealthier on a per capita basis given China’s 1.3 billion-strong population.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against