Outgoing Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti on Friday unveiled the alliance he is to lead into next month’s parliamentary election and said he was unlikely to agree to serve as a minister in another prime minister’s Cabinet after the vote.
The 69-year-old former European commissioner, who replaced Silvio Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis, announced last week that he would run for a second term. Monti said on Friday the grouping would be called “With Monti for Italy,” whose logo is a circular symbol with the colors of the Italian flag and his surname in the center.
“I hope that [the new alliance] helps improve politics and that it renews the interest of those Italians who had turned their back on politics, involving them actively again in public affairs,” Monti said.
Opinion surveys have shown that up to 50 percent of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided in the Feb. 24-25 election that is a three-way battle between conservative Berlusconi, Monti and center-left frontrunner Pier Luigi Bersani.
Focusing the campaign strongly around Monti could be a risky tactic, with his popularity dented by the tough tax hikes and spending cuts he has introduced over the past 13 months. About 60 percent of Italians are against the idea of him standing for a second term, polls show.
A poll by the Tecne research institute released on SkyTG24 on Friday showed that Monti’s grouping would likely attract slightly more than 12 percent of the vote.
That compares with 40 percent for his rivals on the left, Bersani’s Democratic Party (PD) and its coalition ally, Left, Ecology, Freedom; and 25 percent for the most likely center-right coalition of Berlusconi’s People of Freedom (PDL) and the Northern League, the poll showed.
Monti, who wants to form a broad coalition of pro-Europe, pro-reform parties after the election, said on Friday that his goal was to continue as prime minister and he was unlikely to accept a job in someone else’s Cabinet.
When asked if he would consider being, for example, the economy minister under another prime minister, he told La 7 TV channel: “I believe not.”
“I do not think I would have the motivation to commit myself to serve a government that did not agree with me on at least 98 percent of policy,” he said.
He told La 7 he would be open to a three-way TV debate with Berlusconi and Bersani.
Monti plans to lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with the economics professor as their leader in the lower house.
One will be a list of candidates who have not before participated in politics, to be called “A Civic Choice: With Monti for Italy.”
The other two will be already existing centrist parties, the Catholic UDC led by Pier Ferdinando Casini, and the FLI led by Italian Chamber of Deputies President Gianfranco Fini.
The different groupings in the two houses would maximize the alliance’s political power while preserving the separate identities of the centrist parties that are backing Monti.
Monti said the names of parliamentary candidates running for his alliance were due to be unveiled by Tuesday.
He added that candidates would be closely scrutinized to rule out any conflicts of interest or ties to organized crime.
STEP TOO FAR? The mandatory COVID-19 app has unprecedented access to users’ location data and forces Android users to give access to their picture and video galleries Privacy concerns over Qatar’s COVID-19 contact tracing app, a tool that is mandatory on pain of prison, have prompted a rare backlash and forced officials to offer reassurance and concessions. Like other governments around the world, Qatar has turned to mobile phones to trace people’s movements and track who they come into contact with, allowing officials to monitor infections and alert people at risk of infection. The apps use Bluetooth to ping nearby devices, which can be contacted subsequently if a user they have been near develops symptoms or tests positive for the virus, but the resultant unprecedented access to users’ location
‘CULTURE ERADICATION’: A US official said that Beijing is trying to stamp out the Uighur culture because it is not what the Chinese Communist Party deems ‘Chinese’ The US Congress on Wednesday authorized sanctions against Chinese officials over the mass incarceration of Muslim Uighurs. The US House of Representatives voted with just one dissent in favor of the Uighur Human Rights Act. Rights groups say that at least 1 million Uighurs and other Turkic Muslims in China’s northwestern Xinjiang region have been incarcerated in what Beijing calls “re-education” camps. “If America does not speak out against human rights [violations] in China because of some commercial interest, then we lose all moral authority to speak out on human rights violations any place in the world,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. House Committee
UNITED STATES SpaceX launch delayed SpaceX’s launch to the International Space Station — the first crewed mission to blast off from US soil in almost a decade — was scrubbed on Wednesday due to fears of a lightning strike. With NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley strapped into the Crew Dragon capsule, the launch pad platform retracted and rocket fueling under way, SpaceX made the call to abort. “We had just simply too much electricity in the atmosphere,” NASA chief Jim Bridenstine said. UNITED STATES Chinese ministry checked Twitter has applied a fact check tag to at least two posts made in March by
Anglo-Australian mining giant Rio Tinto has admitted damaging ancient Aboriginal rock shelters in Australia’s remote Pilbara region — blasting near the 46,000-year-old heritage site to expand an iron ore mine. Traditional owners said that the culturally significant cave in Juukan Gorge, Western Australia — one of the earliest known sites occupied by Aborigines in Australia — had been destroyed in a “devastating blow” to the community. Explosives were detonated on Sunday near the site in line with state government approvals granted seven years ago, Rio Tinto said in a statement. “In 2013, ministerial consent was granted to allow Rio Tinto to conduct activity