The death toll from the typhoon that devastated the southern Philippines earlier this month has topped 1,000 as hundreds more remain missing, the government said yesterday.
Typhoon Bopha has killed 1,020 people, mostly on the southern island of Mindanao where floods and landslides caused major damage on Dec. 4, civil defense chief Benito Ramos said.
A total of 844 people remain missing, about half of them fishermen who ventured out to sea before Bopha hit, Ramos said, adding that he feared many of the missing were also dead.
“The death toll will go higher. We found a lot of bodies yesterday, buried under fallen logs and debris,” he told reporters.
He added that the toll from Bopha, the worst natural disaster to hit the country this year, would exceed the 1,268 confirmed dead after Typhoon Washi struck the southern Philippines in December last year.
“We prepared. We were just simply overwhelmed,” Ramos said.
“They did not expect this intensity. The last time [this part of the country] got hit by a strong storm was 1912,” he added.
He said that many evacuation centers were destroyed by the typhoon.
More than 27,000 people remain in such centers, almost two weeks after Bopha hit as the search for the dead and missing continues, the Office of Civil Defense said.
Colonel Lyndon Paniza, a spokesman for the military forces in the worst-affected region, was less optimistic of finding any survivors.
“We are on [body] retrieval mode already. We are done with search and rescue,” he told reporters.
Paniza, who oversees the hardest-hit regions which suffered over 960 dead, said he expected the death toll to rise further.
“It has been 12 days already so it looks like [survival chances] are doubtful,” he said.
Among the casualties were seven soldiers who were killed and four who remain missing after they were hit by flash floods while performing relief work, he said.
In the southern town of New Bataan, which suffered more than 500 dead, including 235 bodies that are still unidentified, people still struggled to recover, building makeshift shelters out of scrap wood and rags.
New Bataan Mayor Lorenzo Balbin said the death toll may be even higher than the official figures because many transients, who pass through the town or work on small-scale mines and plantations, do not register as residents.
With no one to report them missing, their deaths may go unnoticed, he said.
The situation in the town, which was largely flattened by the typhoon, has improved slightly as more relief aid was reaching the area.
Trucks from government and private relief agencies were seen entering New Bataan, handing out much-needed food to villagers still stunned by the storm’s fury.
Balbin said the focus now was on finding new crops to replace those destroyed by the typhoon.
The storm has caused massive damage to infrastructure and agriculture, destroying large tracts of coconut and banana trees.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council initially estimated damage to crops and public infrastructure at 7.16 billion pesos (US$174 million).
The Philippines is hit by about 20 major storms or typhoons each year that occur mainly during the rainy season between June and October. Bopha was the strongest typhoon to strike this year.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Hong Kong (FCC) yesterday said that reporters in the territory were experiencing “highly unusual” visas problems, and called on the US and China to stop using the media as a political weapon. Journalists have been caught up in US-China tensions, with both sides placing limits or expelling reporters from their territories in the past few months. Now the spat is filtering into Hong Kong, a regional press hub nominally in charge of its own immigration policies. The FCC said in a statement that multiple media firms had reported delays getting visas in recent months. “The delays have affected journalists