Thu, Dec 13, 2012 - Page 6 News List

Sudan police fire tear gas at student protest

SPRING AWAKENING?Although the country is not being rocked by movements like those in Egypt and Libya, demonstrations are becoming increasingly frequent


Sudanese police fired teargas to break up a protest by university students in the capital, Khartoum, on Tuesday over the deaths of four students from Darfur found dead in a canal last week, witnesses said.

The protests, in their fourth day, have been the most sustained to hit Sudan since a wave of protests against government austerity measures in June, although they have so far failed to muster more than a few hundred students at a time.

Sudan has thus far avoided the mass demonstrations that swept leaders from power in Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen and Libya.

On Tuesday, students from Sudan’s western Darfur region gathered at the Omdurman Islamic University in Khartoum for another protest when they were attacked by supporters of the ruling National Congress Party, witnesses said.

Police used teargas and batons to disperse the protesters, forcing them to retreat to the university dormitories, where a fire broke out, the witnesses said.

The General Students Union of Khartoum State, a group seen as close to the ruling party, blamed the violence on what it claimed was the kidnapping of four students by a group loyal to Darfur rebel leader Abdelwahid Nour.

About 100 students were wounded in the clashes, the group said in a statement reported by the state-linked Sudanese Media Center. There was no immediate comment from police.

Anger over rising prices and other grievances have triggered smaller protests in Sudan over the past two years, many of them led by students.

The latest round of demonstrations started after four students were found dead in a waterway near Gezira University, in an agricultural region south of Khartoum.

Activists said they disappeared when ruling party supporters attacked students from Darfur demonstrating to demand an exemption from tuition fees, as they say a presidential decree stipulates.

Gezira state police confirmed they had found students’ bodies, but said there was no sign of violence. The Sudanese Ministry of Justice has said it will set up a committee to investigate the incident.

New York-based Human Rights Watch called on the Sudanese government to hold those responsible for the deaths to account.

The group quoted witnesses as saying security forces had pushed protesters toward the canal in Gezira, causing some to fall in, although the cause of the four deaths was still unclear. Two students are still missing, it added.

“The murky circumstances of these deaths are fueling more protests and violence,” Human Rights Watch’s Africa director Daniel Bekele said in the statement.

Authorities have arrested dozens of people, including lawyers and opposition figures, since the protests started, the group added.

Darfur has been torn by conflict since rebels started fighting government forces there in 2003.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top