Mon, Oct 15, 2012 - Page 7 News List

US knew of Zeta leader’s ID before body snatched

AP, MEXICO CITY

The US government knew that a suspect fatally shot by Mexican marines was the head of the widely feared Zetas drug cartel well before the marines left the body unguarded in a small-town funeral home, where it was stolen in a pre-dawn raid by armed men, US officials said.

The US had independently verified the identity of Zeta founder and leader Heriberto Lazcano, killed in a shootout on Sunday last week in a northern Mexican town, before his body was stolen at about 1am on Monday, according to a US law enforcement official who was not authorized to speak to the press about the case.

The information throws into question the Mexican navy’s insistence that marines thought they had killed a common criminal and that was why they left his body unguarded at the funeral home where gunmen hijacked a hearse in the middle of night.

Rear Admiral Jose Luis Vergara, the navy’s chief spokesman, said last week that the identity was not confirmed through Mexico’s fingerprint database until after the body was gone.

The theft of the body was an embarrassing twist on one of Mexican President Felipe Calderon’s biggest drug-war victories, the killing of perhaps the top capo to fall so far in Calderon’s focused attack on cartel leadership.

Twenty-five of the 37 most-wanted drug traffickers from a list issued in 2009 have now been caught or killed.

“We had it confirmed before he was stolen,” the US official said.

US authorities did not provide details on how they knew, only that they had confirmed evidence. They did not say whether they believed the Mexican navy also knew Lazcano’s identity soon after it carried out the operation that killed Lazcano and his driver. Mexican navy officials and the attorney-general’s office declined to comment on Saturday.

Mexican forces often work from intelligence provided by US law enforcement, including the Drug Enforcement Administration, on the location and movements of top drug lords. Both Mexican and US officials said the navy came upon Lazcano by accident before Sunday’s attack.

Lazcano, who was born in 1974, according to the US, or 1975, according to Mexican officials, was one of the most-wanted drug traffickers in Mexico and the US and hunted for years by both governments. He was a former member of the army special forces who went on to lead a band of assassins he originally called “The Company” for the Gulf Cartel, which dominated drug trafficking through Mexico’s northeastern border with Texas for years. They later became known as the Zetas, named for the radio code given to high officers. The two groups split in 2010, leading to an unprecedented escalation in drug violence in Mexico’s northeastern corridor.

Lazcano was personally responsible for hundreds of murders, according to the Mexican government, and led an organization responsible for some of the country’s most shocking atrocities and mass killings. Those include the deaths of 52 casino gamblers and workers in an extortion fire last year in the northern city of Monterrey and the slaughter of 72 migrants in the border state of Tamaulipas in 2010.

There was a US$5 million reward for him in the US and US$2.5 million in Mexico.

The Mexican navy did not announce publicly until last Monday night, more than 24 hours after the shootout, that it believed it had killed Lazcano.

They admitted the body had been stolen only after it leaked out in the local press on Tuesday.

This story has been viewed 1560 times.
TOP top