Wed, Oct 10, 2012 - Page 6 News List

Dozens die in Syrian base attack

DEATH SQUAD:The al-Nusra Front said one of the suicide bombers drove a car loaded with 9 tonnes of explosives and another a bomb-laden ambulance

AFP, DAMASCUS

A man rushes a wounded civilian to hospital following an air strike by regime forces in the northern city of Aleppo, Syria, on Monday.

Photo: AFP

Twin blasts at a military base near Damascus by suicide bombers, one driving an bomb-laden ambulance, killed dozens of people, while the fate of prisoners held there was unknown, a watchdog said yesterday.

The attack, the latest in a spate of assaults on Syrian military and government installations, was claimed by the al-Nusra Front, which said it was to avenge Muslims “oppressed or killed” by the regime.

News of the blasts came as UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime to declare a unilateral truce in the almost 19-month conflict which activists say has killed more than 32,000 people.

“Dozens of people were killed in two suicide attacks against the air force intelligence branch in Harasta [late on Monday],” Syrian Observatory for Human Rights director Rami Abdel Rahman said, referring to a town just northeast of the capital. “The fate of hundreds of prisoners being held in the basements of the [building] is still unknown.”

“The regime has not said a word about what happened last night,” Abdel Rahman added. “I hold the regime responsible for the fate of the prisoners. They shouldn’t be holding all of these people in the first place.”

The observatory said in an earlier statement that Syrian regime artillery hammered Harasta, as well as other rebel belts, across the country from dawn yesterday.

The al-Nusra Front, which was unknown before the start of the revolt against al-Assad’s regime, but which now regularly issues statements claiming suicide attacks in Syria, said it was behind the Harasta attack.

“In revenge for those who have oppressed or killed Muslims, the decision was taken to strike the air force intelligence branch in Harasta,” al-Nusra said in a statement posted on jihadist online forums.

The group described a three-phase operation in which a suicide bomber drove a car loaded with 9 tonnes of explosives to the front of the building and 25 minutes later another fighter drove through in a booby-trapped ambulance. The militants then targeted the area with mortars, according to the statement.

The attack sparked intense fighting between rebels and the army, which at daybreak pounded the town with shells, the Britain-based observatory said.

It said Syrian forces yesterday also rained shells down on rebel strongholds in the second city of Aleppo, which has been fiercely contested since mid-July, and in Idlib Province near the Turkish province.

The army also kept up a siege of rebel neighborhoods of the city of Homs — Syria’s third largest — and the nearby town of Qusayr, sources on both sides said.

“The army is in the midst of trying to cleanse the last rebel districts of the city of Homs,” a Syrian army commander said.

“The army has already cleansed the villages surrounding Qusayr and is now trying to take back the town itself,” the commander said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A security official said the army hopes to retake the besieged areas by the end of the week to free up troops for battle zones in the north, such as Aleppo.

“It is a huge operation and we hope to finish it off by the end of this week,” the source said, again speaking on condition of anonymity. “After that, we will concentrate on the north of Syria.”

Homs Province has suffered some of the worst bloodshed and destruction of the uprising, which erupted against al-Assad’s regime in March last year, but since July the main focus of the conflict has shifted to Aleppo, the northern metropolis of about 1.7 million people.

This story has been viewed 1861 times.
TOP top