Several thousand Egyptians rallied on Friday in the first significant protests against Islamist Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, accusing him and his Muslim Brotherhood group of trying to monopolize power.
The main protest in Cairo, which counted about 3,000 people and converged on the presidential palace from several locations, drew a far smaller turnout than the mass demonstrations that helped topple Morsi’s predecessor, former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, or the later rallies against the council of generals that took power after Mubarak’s fall.
While the turnout was low for Friday’s rally in Cairo, as well as similar ones in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria and elsewhere, the protests point to the fears many Egyptians feel with the Islamist president and his policies and reflect the deep divide in Egyptian society over the country’s future direction under Morsi and the Brotherhood.
Other than minor scuffles, the demonstrations in Cairo were peaceful. However, a mob wielding knives and sticks attacked about 1,000 anti-Brotherhood protesters in Alexandria. Several people were wounded and someone in the crowd lit a flare that sent clouds of smoke into the air. It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack.
Protesters accuse Morsi of monopolizing power and say that he exceeded his authority when he assumed legislative powers after forcing senior generals into retirement following a deadly attack this month by militants that killed 16 Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai Peninsula.
The protesters in Cairo appeared to be largely made up of supporters of the former regime and those calling for Egypt to remain a secular state. However, notably absent were Egypt’s liberal and secular parties, as well as the youth activists who helped engineer last year’s uprising against Mubarak.
In Cairo, protesters carried Egypt’s red, white and black flags and signs that read “Down with Brotherhood rule” while chanting “illegitimate” in reference to Morsi’s wide-sweeping powers.
Khairy Hassan, an English teacher taking part in the rally in Tahrir Square, accused the Brotherhood of betraying the people.
“What is happening from the Brotherhood is not accepted by logic or by people,” Hassan said. “What is happening is the ‘Brotherhoodization’ of the government.”
Days before Morsi was sworn in as president in late June, Egypt’s then-ruling generals who were locked in a power struggle with the Islamists dissolved the Brotherhood-led parliament after the Supreme Court ruled that a third of the legislature was elected illegally.
The Mubarak-appointed generals also granted themselves legislative powers and the right to form the committee that would draft Egypt’s new constitution — a stab at guaranteeing the military power over the future direction of the country.
Earlier this month Morsi struck back, pushing the most senior generals into retirement and giving himself full legislative powers, adding to the executive authority he already held as president.
Protesters also took aim at the Brotherhood, saying it does not have the legal status to operate as a non-governmental organization as required by law and complaining that the group’s finances are out of government purview.
The Brotherhood’s political arm, though, known as the Freedom and Justice Party, was formed after the uprising and does have legal status.
The Brotherhood has been in existence for more than 80 years and did not register itself in Egypt in the past, because it was outlawed and persecuted under previous regimes.
“The Muslim Brotherhood should not be above the Egyptian law,” protester Mohamed Amin said. “They have to adhere to the Egyptian law pertaining to political parties, civil societies and associations by paying taxes.”
The Brotherhood, which has on numerous occasions in the past 17 months demonstrated its ability to mobilize thousands of people into the streets, called upon its members to secure the group’s offices in case of attacks by protesters after some had called for violence against Brotherhood property.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of