China has pushed thousands of refugees from Myanmar’s Kachin minority back across the border into a province wracked by fighting between government troops and ethnic guerillas, the rebels said on Friday.
Around 2,000 Kachin refugees have returned from China’s Yunnan Province this week and languish in camps near the border between the two nations, La Nan of the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) told reporters, adding more were expected to cross.
“Chinese authorities in Yunnan have pressured them many times to go back to Burma [Myanmar],” he said, speaking from the rebel capital of Laiza. “About 2,000 have returned and are in camps on the Kachin side of the border. There were 5,000 refugees on the China side ... they will all come back.”
The KIO’s armed wing, the Kachin Independence Army (KIA), said it had crossed the border to guide refugees back to Myanmar on China’s request.
“They [China] said they do not accept war refugees. We started moving refugees from their territory on Aug. 22 [Wednesday] ... we have moved about 1800 refugees in three days,” KIA official Sai Li said.
Continued fighting between the Burmese government and KIA forces means many of the refugees cannot return to their homes, Sai Li said. Tens of thousands of people have fled the fighting since June last year when a 17-year ceasefire between the government and rebels collapsed, with an estimated 5,000 seeking refuge in China.
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs refuted allegations of forced returns of refugees saying they had crossed back “by their own volition when the fire had ceased.”
Recent talks to resolve the conflict in the country’s north have been overshadowed by ongoing battles.
Confirming the refugee return, New York-based Human Rights Watch criticized China for rejecting displaced people, saying violence awaits them in their home towns.
“China is flouting its international legal obligations by forcibly returning Kachin refugees to an active conflict zone rife with Burmese army abuses,” Human Rights Watch’s Bill Frelick said.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around