The Philippines will likely deport nearly 400 Taiwanese and Chinese arrested in a major telephone scam that swindled millions of dollars from elderly compatriots, police said on Friday.
Police made the arrests during raids on 20 houses across Manila on Thursday, after being tipped off by authorities in Taiwan and China, said Reginald Villasanta, chief of the Philippines’ anti-organized crime task force.
Asked if the suspects would be deported he said: “Before the operation was launched we were provided with the evidence gathered by our counterparts in Taiwan and China. So most likely that is what is going to happen.”
Posing over the phone as police officers or state prosecutors in their homelands, the suspects scared mostly elderly victims into transferring their savings into bank accounts of the gang, Villasanta said.
“They would tell the victims their bank accounts are being used by terrorists or syndicates and should transfer them to a safer account,” Villasanta said. “In reality these accounts are controlled by the syndicate and when the deposits are made they are swiftly cleaned out.”
The gang stole millions of yuan or New Taiwanese dollars every day, he said.
The gang had been under surveillance since last month, Villasanta said. However, police were not sure how long it had been operating in the Philippines.
A total of 385 foreign suspects were arrested along with two Filipinos of Chinese background, said Superintendent Winnie Quidato, operations chief of the task force.
Seventy-eight Taiwanese suspects were arrested in a similar scam in the southern Philippines in April. The suspects were later deported to face charges at home, authorities said.
However, sorting out the Chinese from the Taiwanese in the latest case is proving difficult because the suspects are refusing to cooperate with authorities, Quidato said.
The Philippines has asked the Chinese embassy and the Taipei cultural office for help in identifying them, he added.
In February last year, the Philippines mistakenly deported to China 14 Taiwanese suspects of another scamming operation that had allegedly swindled US$20 million from Chinese victims.
A furious Taiwan denounced the mistake as a blow to economic and cultural ties. China sent the 14 suspects home to Taiwan nearly four months later.
Officials at the Taipei Cultural and Economic Office in the Philippines were not available for comment on Friday. Chinese embassy spokesman Zhang Hua (張華) said the mission had been expected to comment on the arrests on Friday.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable