Nearly 2 million Canadians claimed C$27 billion (US$27.3 billion) from leading tobacco companies at a trial that opened on Monday for allegedly failing to adequately warn them about the danger of smoking.
Plaintiffs filed two separate class actions that were combined into Canada’s biggest-ever civilian lawsuit in the Superior Court of Quebec. The three defendants are Imperial Tobacco Canada (a BAT subsidiary); JTI-Macdonald; and Rothmans Benson and Hedges.
The first class included 90,000 current and former smokers in Quebec who say they fell ill with a range of smoking-related ailments, including emphysema and throat and larynx cancer. They are seeking C$105,000 per person.
The second suit was filed by 1.8 million current smokers who say they are unable to quit the tobacco habit and are seeking C$10,000 per person.
Lawyer Bruce Johnston, speaking on behalf of smokers and ex-smokers, accused the tobacco companies of “duplicity” for knowingly selling a “harmful product,” while hiding or “trivializing” the health risks to consumers.
Johnston in his opening remarks said the firms “spread false information” about their products and chose “not to use tobacco with a level of nicotine so low that it could have effectively put an end to the dependence of a large number of smokers.”
According to court documents, the plaintiffs accuse the Canadian tobacco companies of hiding research, which has established a link between smoking and serious health problems such as cancer.
The suit also alleges that tobacco firms in Canada have tried to manipulate the levels of nicotine in their cigarettes, increasing the levels of dangerous tar and have even added products such as ammonia.
Johnson asked the judge to consider whether the companies “conspired to prevent smokers from becoming informed about the inherent dangers of smoking.”
He also said tobacco companies had hired a “stable of scientists” to cast doubts on negative studies by labeling them “controversial, as a pretext to do nothing.”
He also decried widespread “sophisms” touted by the industry, such as “cigarettes are legal,” “smoking is a personal choice,” “everyone knows the risks,” but it is impossible to prove a direct link to health woes, blame the government and “victims have only themselves to blame.”
Plaintiff lawyer Andre Lesperance even said tobacco firms withheld or destroyed scientific data that showed the harmful effects of smoking.
Deborah Glendinning, a lawyer for Imperial Tobacco Canada, was unmoved by the arguments presented so far.
“They don’t have a case,” she told reporters during a break in the proceedings. “They are unable to prove their allegations.”
“Smoking is something that people choose to do for many reasons and they have to take responsibility for their decision to smoke,” Glendinning said.
However, plaintiff Cecilia Letourneau disagreed.
“I still smoke,” she said outside the courthouse, noting countless failed attempts to quit.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around