The Chinese government is working with domestic Internet search engines like Baidu Inc, Sohu.com and financial institutions to prevent phishing attacks on unsuspecting Chinese Web users.
The Chinese Ministry of Public Security said yesterday it would work with 10 Chinese search engines to protect the Web site rankings of financial institutions to lessen the chance that Internet users might be duped by phishing Web sites.
A phishing attack occurs when the user is persuaded to part with his or her username and password via a fake Web page that closely resembles the original.
Through the collaboration, the official Web sites of several Chinese banks, such as Agricultural Bank of China and China Construction Bank will be ranked first in the search engine when a user searches for the related keywords, the ministry said in an online circular yesterday.
The move comes as China urged tighter Internet security on Wednesday, after a spate of personal data leaks that alarmed the online community and prompted calls for tougher scrutiny of who has access to online information.
China claims the most Internet users in the world at 485 million, state media reported last month and despite widespread censorship and online monitoring, many users have been up in arms about the reported data leaks and their implications.
The user IDs, passwords and e-mail addresses of more than 6 million accounts registered on CSDN — a site for programmers — were leaked, Xinhua news agency reported last week, citing an anti-virus software provider which discovered the problem. The popular social-networking site Tianya was also hit.
The Global Times newspaper yesterday described the state of Internet security in China as “very dangerous,” saying the leaks had “struck Chinese society’s alarm bells.” The Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said on Wednesday that it would investigate the hacking incidents.
“The department believes the recent leak of user information is a serious infringement of the rights of Internet users and threatens Internet safety. The department strongly condemns such behavior,” the ministry said in a statement.
China is widely suspected of being the origin of many hacking attacks on government and commercial Web sites abroad, but officials have repeatedly dismissed reports that the government or military could be behind such attacks.
China bans numerous overseas Web sites, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and some foreign media outlets, fearing the uncensored sharing of images and information could cause social instability and harm national security.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference