They are already calling it the “widow village.”
In the space of just a few short days, the close-knit community of Sangrampur in eastern India — along with a number of smaller surrounding villages — has been devastated by a case of mass poisoning from toxic, home-brewed alcohol.
So far 170 people have died, almost exclusively men, most of whom were the sole bread--winners in families that were already struggling with life on the poverty line.
“At the moment, it feels like all roads lead to the burial ground,” said Abdul Mannan Gayen, who lost two sons and has a third battling for his life in hospital along with more than 100 other critically ill villagers.
In India, disasters — fires, flood, earthquakes, epidemics — often take their heaviest toll among the poor, who live in the most vulnerable and densely packed communities in poorly constructed, makeshift homes.
However, the tragedy that struck the district around Sangrampur in West Bengal was particularly narrow and devastating in its focus.
Illegal, home-distilled liquor, or “hooch,” has been brewed in such places for decades, catering to an impoverished male clientele of laborers, farmers and rickshaw drivers unable to afford branded alcohol.
On Tuesday evening, the half-liter measures of hooch — costing as little as US$0.10 — were drunk and shared as they are most evenings.
By Wednesday morning, local hospitals were already struggling with the chronically sick and dying and the next few days saw the death toll rise inexorably from 50 to 100, to 150 and beyond.
Those who died died painfully, wracked by cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.
They leave behind wives and children who now face a perilous future.
“We’re ruined,” said Roserana Naskar, whose normally teetotaler husband died on Wednesday after drinking from the toxic batch of methanol-laced alcohol at the home of a relative who was -celebrating the birth of his second son.
“We have nothing now. Just our home and I don’t know how we can keep that,” said Naskar, who has four young children.
Jhunu Bibi, a 30-year-old mother of four, broke down as she contemplated life after the death of her husband, whose body was brought home from the hospital on Friday evening.
“I don’t know what to do. I have to carry on because of the children. How do I feed them?” she said.
Newly married and now widowed Anwara Bibi, 23, said that she had no choice but to return to her father’s house just months since she left it to start a new life with her husband, a tailor.
“My life has been taken away,” she said.
In the district’s largest hospital, in the town of Diamond Harbour, bodies were being laid outside on Saturday, with the facility’s small morgue unable to cope with the number of dead.
“We’re helpless,” hospital superintendent Chiranjib Murmu said.
“This stuff is so toxic, there’s really no treatment,” he said.
“By the time people get here, they are already dying. They don’t respond to any medicine,” he said.
Days after the poisoning first surfaced, the sick were still being brought in, going the -opposite way to hospital rickshaws and even horse-drawn carts ferrying bodies back to their home villages.
Amid the grief, there was also intense anger.
On Friday evening, a crowd ransacked the house of one man who was allegedly in control of a string of illegal distilleries in the area.
Methanol, a highly toxic form of alcohol used as an anti-freeze or fuel, is often added to bootleg liquor in India as a cheap, quick method of upping the alcohol content.
If the dosage is too high, it results in a lethal brew that can induce blindness and death.
Equally toxic, social workers say, is the collusion of local police and politicians who take a sizeable cut of the profits for turning a blind eye to the “hooch” cottage industry.
“While the hunt is on for the manufacturers ... it’s necessary to realize they are just smaller cogs in a much larger criminal wheel,” the Hindustan Times newspaper wrote in an editorial on Saturday.
“To run this well-oiled racket, manufacturers and distributors of spurious liquor get support from the very same people who are supposed to stop such activities,” the newspaper said.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of