China’s security chief has ordered police on a six-month charm offensive to improve relations with the public and deal with their gripes, following a spate of social unrest across the country.
Police should “carry out in-depth investigations” and “enhance people’s sense of safety and satisfaction” during the campaign, which was launched by the public security ministry on Friday, Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Central Political and Legislative Committee Secretary Zhou Yongkang (周永康) said in a statement.
“Public security organs at all levels ... should promote ... the spirit of serving the people, justice and honesty, and do the best to safeguard national security, social harmony and stability,” said Zhou, who is a member of the Politburo, in the statement published on Saturday.
The announcement highlights the growing concern in the top ranks of the CCP over rising social tensions across China as it prepares for a generational leadership handover next year.
It comes as thousands of villagers in southern China staged a revolt against local CCP officials. The villagers say the officials have been stealing their land for years and are responsible for the death of a community leader.
The 13,000 residents of Wukan in wealthy Guangdong Province have taken to the streets to demand their land back and for officials to return the body of Xue Jinbo (薛錦波), who died in police custody on Dec. 11.
Wukan is located in China’s manufacturing heartland, where thousands of factory workers have gone on strike in recent months as slowing export demand forces manufacturers to cut pay.
Last month, more than 7,000 workers went on strike at a Guangdong factory making Western brand shoes, clashing with police in a protest over layoffs and wage cuts.
A mass protest earlier this year in Dalian, Liaoning Province, forced the government to move an unpopular chemical plant — another sign, analysts say, that China’s growing middle class is increasingly willing to fight back.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses