British and US forces freed an Italian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates in a dramatic rescue after retrieving a message in a bottle tossed by hostages from a porthole alerting ships nearby that the crew was safely sealed inside an armored area.
All 23 crew members of the MV Montecristo cargo ship were brought to safety on Tuesday, the Italian Foreign Ministry said. The 11 pirates were taken into custody.
The crew — seven Italians, six Ukrainians and 10 Indians — locked themselves inside an armored area of the vessel when the pirates boarded the ship on Monday, Italian Defense Minister Ignazio La Russa said. Safe from the pirates’ threats, the crew continued to navigate the ship.
“The criminals managed to cut off all means of communication, but the ‘prisoners’ tossed a bottle with a message through a porthole explaining the situation,” La Russa told a news conference.
At that point, other ships in the area were aware that the Italian vessel had been boarded by pirates. The message in the bottle gave an important signal that the crew of the Italian ship was out of harm’s way and that a rescue operation could be launched without risking injury.
“Rubber boats circled the Montecristo, while a helicopter hovered above. The pirates surrendered right away, some throwing their weapons in the sea, and were arrested,” he said.
One crew member sustained a light hand injury, La Russa said.
The pirates attacked the ship on Monday 1,000km off Somalia as the crew was hauling scrap iron to Vietnam on a journey that had begun on Sept. 20 in Liverpool, England.
The father of one of the crew members, Pietro Raimondo, said Italian officials had told him that his son was in good shape.
“We are happy. We are celebrating the liberation,” said Antonio Raimondo from Sardinia, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
The operation was carried out by two navy ships — one British and one from the US — and coordinated by Italian Admiral Gualtiero Mattesi as part of NATO’s Ocean Shield anti-piracy force, according to the Italian Foreign Ministry.
Britain’s Defense Ministry said the RFA Fort Victoria “responded to calls to assist a pirated Italian merchant ship, the MV Montecristo, along with an American Navy frigate.”
Because of the presence of warships, the pirates on board surrendered without force, it said.
Earlier on Tuesday, La Russa said security forces — groups of six armed marines — can be used as security guards on Italian ships sailing in perilous waters, noting that “the danger of piracy has increased.”
International militaries are increasingly tasking assault teams with boarding ships and battling pirates in order to win the release of hostages.
In April this year, a Danish assault team freed 18 hostages after boarding a vessel off Somalia’s coast. Three pirates were wounded.
Only 10 days later South Korean commandos stormed a container ships and freed the 21 crew members on board. In May, Indonesian forces killed four pirates after the hostage-takers were paid a ransom and freed hostages.
However, for every successful attack against hostage-taking pirates, far more pirates and seized vessels make it back to Somalia with their hostages in hand.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures