A corruption investigation is circling closer to French President Nicolas Sarkozy as a third ally comes under pressure in the so-called “Karachi Affair,” accused of alerting a friend in police custody to secret witness testimony.
A preliminary judicial inquiry opened on Friday into the leak after French media reported that presidential adviser Brice Hortefeux had told Thierry Gaubert, another Sarkozy ally, about secret testimony made against Gaubert by Gaubert’s wife.
The implication of former Hortefeux, a former interior minister in Sarkozy’s conservative government, has intensified focus on the sprawling Karachi Affair, a corruption case linked to arms sales and a deadly bombing in Pakistan in 2002.
Sarkozy’s office issued a statement last week, seven months before he is expected to run for re-election, saying he had nothing to do with any aspect of the case.
While there is no direct legal risk to Sarkozy, who cannot be prosecuted in office, growing interest in the case could crimp a meager revival in his poll scores as it spreads to another of his allies.
The Karachi Affair refers to an investigation into a 2002 Karachi bombing that killed 15 people, including 11 French nationals. Investigators suspect the bombing was a reprisal for former French president Jacques Chirac’s decision to stop paying commissions to Pakistan on submarine sales.
Judges suspect a number of French conservative politicians received kickbacks from the sales and used the proceeds to help to finance former French prime minister Edouard Balladur’s 1995 presidential campaign.
Sarkozy was budget minister under Balladur and spokesman for his campaign.
The investigation opened on Friday by a Paris judge will seek to determine how the secret testimony linked to the Karachi Affair was leaked.
Hortefeux, Sarkozy’s interior minister until February, denied media allegations that he had known details of the witness report before they were reported by French media, and offered on Friday to speak to a judge about the alleged leak.
“This is a direct intervention by an adviser to the president, a member of the executive branch, to hamper the search for truth. It’s very serious,” Olivier Morice, lawyer for the Karachi blast victims’ families, told RTL radio.
Gaubert and another Sarkozy ally, LVMH executive Nicolas Bazire, were placed under investigation last week on suspicion of handling kickback cash from Pakistan. Gaubert and Bazire both deny wrongdoing.
Hortefeux’s denial followed a report in the Le Monde daily describing a conversation between him and Gaubert when the latter was in police custody early this month.
According to a leaked police transcript of a recording, quoted by Le Monde, Hortefeux spoke to Gaubert by telephone shortly after Gaubert was taken in for questioning. Hortefeux allegedly told Gaubert that Gaubert’s wife, Helene, was speaking to investigators about his role in the case.
“Apparently, she’s blabbing quite a lot, Helene,” Le Monde quoted Hortefeux as telling Gaubert.
The wife, a royal heiress known in France as Helene of Yugoslavia, said she had testified to police that her husband had made trips abroad in the 1990s and returned home with suitcases full of cash.
“I confirm what I said, about my husband’s travels, especially abroad, and the fact of coming home with suitcases,” she told Europe 1 radio.
Sarkozy’s office on Thursday said he was not mentioned anywhere in the investigation and allegations against him were “imaginary.” It also said he had had nothing to do with the financing of Balladur’s presidential campaign.
As the presidential election nears, political opponents are unlikely to let the Karachi Affair fall from public view.
“If the president is in good faith, if he considers that he really has nothing to hide, why not declassify [key files in the case]?” Jean-Marc Ayrault, head of the Socialist group in the French National Assembly, told the news channel i>Tele.
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after