Wadah Khanfar, seated behind a vast desk and surrounded by TV screens, deep leather sofas and a wall of global media awards, always cut an impressive figure in his director-general’s office at al-Jazeera headquarters in the Qatari capital, Doha.
However, his career at the top of the most important news organization in the Arab world ended on Tuesday when he was replaced by a member of the Qatari royal family. It was an abrupt and dramatic move at a time of unprecedented turmoil across the Middle East.
Khanfar, credited with revolutionizing the Arab media landscape, said he was resigning after eight years that consolidated the satellite network’s reputation and his own highly influential position.
The new boss is Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim Al Thani, a little-known executive at Qatargas and a member of the fabulously wealthy Gulf state’s ruling dynasty.
It is thought that Khanfar had become too independent a figure for the Qataris, and that he had come under pressure from them. Al-Jazeera has recently been accused of pulling its punches over the uprising in Bahrain, where Saudi Arabia dominates regional policy. Al-Jazeera’s Lebanon chief, Ghassan Bin Jiddo, resigned in April, apparently in disagreement over coverage of some of the revolts.
However, on Tuesday night, Khanfar denied speculation his departure was linked to outside pressure from the Qatar royal family, the US or anyone else.
“I have spent eight years with the network. We have been talking in this part of the world about change, about presidents who stay for decades in their posts. I thought maybe it is good to give an example as well, while the network is at the peak of its performance. It’s the right moment,” he told reporters.
The Palestinian-born journalist said his resignation had “nothing to do with any of the speculation” swirling on Twitter, and said he agreed “a couple of months ago” with al-Jazeera’s board to step down.
“It’s seismic,” said one journalist on the al-Jazeera English channel. “We are all in shock.”
Arab sources close to the Qatari government said the move had been discreetly planned six months ago.
Al-Jazeera, owned by the emir, broke the mould of Arabic media organizations that were bankrolled by and subservient to governments or censors when it was set up in 1996. Often technically brilliant and highly partisan, it has outperformed itself in this extraordinary year of Arab uprisings with the slogan — cleverly echoing the battle cry of past revolutionary struggles — that “the coverage continues.”
Khanfar’s resignation letter was clearly written with a view to fixing his legacy as the man who made al-Jazeera: “Authoritarian regimes were terrified at the birth of this new institution and they quickly went on the offensive,” he wrote.
Asked what he was going to do now, he said: “I’m going to continue in the same spirit of al-Jazeera. I’m going to very soon announce something related to it, related to the media and the ethics and standards of the profession.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told