Cyprus police said they had arrested 20 people after demonstrators angry at an explosion in which 12 people died tried to breach the gates leading to the presidential palace in the capital.
Police yesterday said the arrests occurred late on Tuesday during a protest over what demonstrators said was official negligence in Monday’s explosion of seized gunpowder stored at Evangelos Florakis naval base, south of Nicosia.
Protesters chanting: “The people demand that the murderers are thrown in jail” were stopped at an inner gate about 100m from the palace by police.
Police said protesters crowded at a palace exit hurled rocks, flares and Molotov cocktails at riot police, who responded with tear gas. Five police officers were slightly injured.
Youths later set fire to rubbish bins outside the palace grounds.
It was unclear whether Cypriot President Dimitris Christofias was in the building.
Meanwhile, funeral services for eight of the 12 dead, who included the navy chief, were being held yesterday.
Monday’s blast also wrecked the island’s main power plant and forced the resignations of the defense minister and the military chief.
Many parts of the island are still intermittently without electricity and officials said it would take months before the power station — which provides more than half the island’s power — is brought back fully online.
Government spokesman Stefanos Stefanou said Greek experts have already joined Cyprus police and military investigators in scouring the rubble for clues and French officials were en route. Authorities have ruled out sabotage.
The probe comes amid a torrent of criticism over how the 100 containers — most of them filled with gunpowder — had been stored.
Tuesday’s invasion of the palace followed a peaceful march by about 10,000 people shouting slogans and carrying placards reading: “Negligence is criminal.”
The protest was organized online, and spread through social media and mobile phone text messages.
“We’re here to protest the irresponsibility of our government,” Nectaria Mihail, 30, said. “All [officials] care about is their cushy positions and money, they should be ashamed of themselves.”
The containers had been stacked one on top of the other in an open field at the navy base since 2009, when they were seized from the Cypriot-flagged M/V Monchegorsk that the UN said was breaching a ban on arms exports.
Military officials had previously expressed fears of what exposure to the elements would have on the containers and the gunpowder in letters to the Defense Ministry.
“Stefanou said the government had sought to transport the containers to either Malta or Germany, but received no reply from the UN Security Council, whose authorization he said was needed to do so.
Fotis Fotiou, a spokesman for the governing coalition, said: “It is obvious that criminal negligence” caused the “national tragedy.”
“There must be punishment,” he said.
In a written statement issued late on Tuesday, Stefanou said a police-led criminal investigation into the blast would run concurrently with another probe to be carried out by a committee Christofias will appoint.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable