The bombing has not deterred Qaddafi from keeping up his attacks on Misrata, Libya’s third--largest city with 300,000 people. On Monday, regime forces deployed on the outskirts of the city shelled Misrata, including its port, for several hours, and doctors said 12 people were wounded.
Hundreds have been killed in Misrata during two months of siege by Libyan troops.
In recent days, Qaddafi’s forces have tried to close access to the port, the city’s only lifeline. Last week, NATO vessels spotted Qaddafi’s forces as they tried to lay sea mines along the approaches to Misrata harbor.
Two of the sea mines had been moored to the seabed and were destroyed, but a third mine broke free and drifted off before the mine sweepers arrived. The alliance said its minesweeping ships were clearing approaches to Misrata on Monday to make sure there were no naval mines left in the waters.