Bolivian President Evo Morales said on Wednesday that landlocked Bolivia would turn to international courts in a more than 100-year-old dispute with neighbor Chile over access to the Pacific Ocean.
“The struggle for our maritime claim, a struggle which has marked our history for 132 years, must now include another fundamental element: turning to international courts and organizations to ask for a free and sovereign exit to the Pacific Ocean,” Morales at a public event.
“It’s feasible and possible for those international organizations to do justice and repair the damage caused to the countries, without the need to resort to any form of violence,” he added.
His comments implicitly suggested the failure of bilateral negotiations over the decades-old dispute, but he said he would always seek “direct, frank and sincere dialogue with Chile.”
Chilean President Sebastian Pinera slammed the remarks, saying that any appeal to world bodies would be a “serious obstacle” for bilateral relations.
“President Morales’s declarations, including his intention to go to international tribunals and bodies with his territorial and maritime aspirations, is a serious obstacle for relations,” he said.
Such statements “depart from the terms agreed upon in many past meetings between our two governments and jeopardize the accord reached in December between the presidents of Chile and Bolivia to strengthen bilateral relations.”
Bolivia had given a March 23 deadline for Chile to respond to its concerns, under a joint agenda to jump-start negotiations that began in 2006, but have seen no concrete advances.
Chile ignored the deadline, recognizing the issue as part of a dialogue between their deputy foreign ministers. The two countries broke off diplomatic relations in 1978.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
A Malaysian student whose cellphone was stolen while he was sleeping has tracked down the culprit: a monkey who took photo and video selfies with the device before abandoning it. Zackrydz Rodzi, 20, on Wednesday said that his mobile phone was missing from his bedroom when he woke up on Saturday. He found the phone’s casing under his bed, but there was no sign of robbery in his house in Johor state. JUNGLE When his father saw a monkey the next day, he searched in the jungle behind his house. Using his brother’s cellphone to call his own device, he found it covered