Pope Benedict XVI insisted on Saturday on his exclusive right to ordain bishops as he consecrated a Chinese prelate in an implicit challenge to attempts by China’s official church to ordain bishops without his approval.
Monsignor Savio Hon Tai-Fai, a 60-year-old Salesian prelate from Hong Kong recently named to the No. 2 spot in the Vatican’s missionary office, was one of five bishops ordained by Benedict in St. Peter’s Basilica.
His elevation comes amid a new low point in relations between the Holy See and Beijing over the Chinese state-backed church’s ordination of bishops without papal consent.
Benedict did not refer specifically to China in his homily, but insisted in general on the duty and need for the pope to name bishops to ensure apostolic succession. He said one of the key jobs of a bishop is to ensure that there is an “uninterrupted chain of communion” with the apostles.
“You, my dear brothers, have the mission to conserve this Catholic communion,” Benedict said. “You know that the Lord entrusted St Peter and his successors to be the center of this communion, the guarantors of being in the totality of the apostolic communion and the faith.”
China forced its Roman -Catholics to cut ties with the Vatican in 1951 shortly after the communist seizure of power. Although only state-backed Catholic churches are recognized, millions of Chinese still belong to unofficial congregations loyal to Rome.
Dialogue has been used to ease tensions, but a main sticking point has been the Chinese church’s insistence that it — not the pope — has the right to appoint bishops. It maintains that Rome’s position amounts to interference in its internal affairs.
The sides had come to a fragile accommodation in recent years whereby Rome tacitly approved the bishops nominated by Beijing, but that appeared to break down late last year when the Chinese church ordained a bishop who did not have the pope’s approval, a move it said it was forced to take because of a lack of response from the Vatican.
The frictions worsened after a meeting in December of about 300 bishops, priests and laymen in Beijing, at which Bishop Ma Yinglin (馬英林) — who is not recognized by the Holy See — was chosen as head of the Bishops’ Conference of the Catholic Church of China.
The Vatican at the time condemned the meeting as a violation of religious freedom and human rights; there were reports that some prelates loyal to Rome had been forced to attend.
Hon was recently named No. 2 in the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. He has said he hopes to be a bridge between Rome and Bejing and that his high-profile appointment was a sign of the pope’s love for China.
On Saturday, Liu Bainian (劉百年), spokesman for the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, congratulated Hon and said there was no need for him to serve as a bridge between the two sides as the Vatican and China already had a dialogue.
However, in an interview in Beijing, he said the church could improve relations between the two by respecting what he said were two conditions put forward by the Chinese government.
“First, to sever the so-called diplomatic ties with Taiwan and recognize the People’s Republic of China as the sole legitimate government. Second, do not interfere in China’s internal affairs, including in the naming of bishops,” he said.
The Vatican has said it is ready “at any time” to switch its diplomatic relations from Taiwan to China.
Liu said Hon could help improve Sino-Vatican ties.
“Bishop Hon is a Chinese citizen and has the responsibility to build the socialist country with Chinese characteristics together with the Chinese people and make contributions to the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation,” he said.
During the solemn Mass, which began with a biblical reading in Chinese, the five new bishops prostrated themselves before the altar. The men then kneeled as dozens of bishops laid their hands on their heads in prayer.
The other bishops ordained Saturday were: monsignors Marcello Bartolucci, the No. 2 in the Vatican’s saint-making office; Celso Morga Iruzubieta, the No. 2 in the Vatican’s Congregation for Clergy; and Antonio Guido Filipazzi and Edgar Pena Parra, both Vatican diplomats.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies