Sat, Jan 01, 2011 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take



Boy dies from hot spring

A boy has died in hospital after being scalded head to foot when he fell into a geothermal pool which could have been as hot as 100oC, a hospital spokeswoman said late on Thursday. It was not clear immediately how the eight-year-old was burned while visiting Kuirau Park in the North Island city of Rotorua, which is known for its steaming geothermal geysers and hot mud and water pools. Witness Anna Kare said the boy was screaming in agony as a teenager carried him to his parents after the accident, according to the New Zealand Herald newspaper. “The boy was yelling ‘my hands, my hands,’ and I saw all the skin on his hands peeling off,” Kare said. “I saw the burns were all the way from his head to his feet.” She said there was no mud on the boy so it was likely he had fallen into a hot water pool. The accident, which happened on Sunday, was made public on Wednesday. The boy, whose name was not released, was initially taken to a local hospital, but was later airlifted to Auckland.


‘Yellow Shirts’ jailed for raid

A court on Thursday jailed 84 supporters of the “Yellow Shirt” royalist movement for storming a TV station in 2008 in protest at a government allied with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. They were handed prison sentences of between six months and two-and-a-half years by Bangkok’s Criminal Court, mostly for illegal assembly and trespassing. The August 2008 incident at the National Broadcasting Service of Thailand state TV station was one in series that year involving the Yellow Shirts, formally known as the People’s Alliance for Democracy. The demonstrations peaked with the seizure of two Bangkok airports in late November and early December 2008, leaving more than 300,000 travelers stranded in Thailand for a week or more and causing crippling economic damage.


Girl’s murder case closed

Police have closed a probe into the murder of a schoolgirl and her domestic helper in 2008, admitting detectives had failed to solve a crime that transfixed the nation. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said on Wednesday it did not have “sufficient evidence to nail anyone” for the deaths of 13-year-old Aarushi Talwar and the male servant in Noida on the outskirts of New Delhi. Police standards were again under the spotlight after hundreds of detectives were involved in a 31-month investigation during which the victim’s father, a dentist, was detained for 90 days and then released. Aarushi’s body was found in her bedroom on May 16, 2008. She had been hit over the head and her throat slit. Police initially named a domestic servant as the prime suspect before his body was found on the house’s terrace 24 hours after the killing, also with his throat cut. No murder weapon was ever found.


Fireworks injure 245

Officials say at least 245 people have been injured by firecrackers and celebratory gunfire ahead of often-bloody New Year’s eve revelry. Health Secretary Enrique Ona made last-minute inspections of government hospitals yesterday to ensure emergency and surgical rooms were well-staffed and stocked with medicine for the expected deluge of people injured by firecrackers and gunfire. Ona says the number of firecracker-related injuries could swell to more than 1,000 if people didn’t stay away from dangerous firecrackers. Many Filipinos, believe that noisy New Year’s celebrations drive away evil and misfortune.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top