Thailand’s Constitutional Court dismissed a second charge of illegal funding against the ruling Democrat Party yesterday, removing the threat that Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva might have to step down.
Thailand’s oldest party was let off the hook because the Election Commission president did not follow correct procedures in filing the case, stemming from allegations the party received an illegal donation ahead of a 2005 election.
It was the second time in less than a month that the Democrats had escaped funding charges due to technicalities related to the way the commission had filed cases.
A guilty verdict in either case could have led to the party’s dissolution and a political ban on Abhisit and several ministers.
The pre-trial acquittal is likely to draw more criticism from opponents of the government, in particular the “Red Shirt” protest movement, which accuses the judiciary of bias in favor of Thailand’s mostly pro-Democrat establishment elite.
The court said the commission chief had not personally made the final call, as required by law, on whether the commission thought the party was guilty of unlawfully obtaining a 258 million baht (US$8.6 million) donation from a Thai cement maker, TPI Polene PCL.
“The Election Commission did not have the authority to agree or disagree,” a judge said in reading the decision.
The stock market climbed slightly after the ruling, which analysts said removed one element of risk to government stability in Thailand.
“It takes out another risk factor that could have resulted in instability. But longer term, it’s still hard to gauge how anti-government protesters will react,” said Warut Siwasariyanon, head of research at Finansia Syrus Securities in Bangkok.
Street protests led by opposition Red Shirt supporters resulted in dozens of deaths in April and May.
The court decision was the latest twist in a five-year political crisis studded with street protests, party dissolutions and military intervention.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched